• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Be certain that you have spelled your email address correctly! Your account is then manually checked and approved.

RUUD 20KW with bad regulator

firefighterfox

Registered
I've been reading a lot of posts but cannot find one that fits my issue. Perhaps someone here would have some experience / advise? I'm working on a friends RUUD 20KW generator. Briggs and Stratton air cooled unit approximately 12 years old. Troubleshooting tests confirm that the $200.00 regulator is bad AGAIN. I tried an aftermarket AVR"GB160" that appeared to be a good fit but after receiving it and installing it, it would not work. Perhaps it was a wrong application or just bad? The generator starts and then goes into a "low voltage shutdown". Question: does anyone know of another aftermarket AVR that would work on this generator?
240 volt ac, single phase, 60 cycle, 20 kw, lp / gasoline, BRUSH TYPE generator. I can supply a schematic of the original avr wiring if it would help?
Thanks for any help,
Greg Fox

Birken Vogt

Registered
Briggs seem to be built to a price point below the competition. Some things just are not worth spending a lot of time and money on.