• The old site search from Google needs to be updated. Use the Search at the Upper Right, or use What's New in the center - it has a drop down arrow. You will need to change your Favorits by right click mouse and clicking favorites. Many of the posts in How to Use This Web Site are old so the links may or may not work. I have one hell of a lot of work to do!

Rynda engine progress?

Kevin Small

Colt, I Have Several Photos Of 5 Different Rynda Engines That Were Shown In 2005. Please Be Patient With Me And I Will Try And Post Them For You And Smokstak As Soon As I Can Thanks. Kevin Small

Colin

hey Kevin:) was thinking about this thread earlier today and how it slipped away. know theres a 50 and 65 case going, 32 port huron, 30? huber, and a russell i think, theres been some articles in steam traction. I seem to remember something about that 50 being driven by a blonde girl:) :eek: My friend in SD is itching to get at the other 50 but they've got a couple projects to do before getting to it :(

Steammech50

We have the 28-minne up and runing at Somerset Va.,after much hard work in 100+ temps last Aug. Still have a few bugs ,but its a mighty fine engine!

Kevin Small

Hello Steammech 50. I Am Going To Post Some Photos Of The 28 Minneapolis As Soon I Figure Out How To Post Them!! Seems Like My Computer And Typing Skills Get Along About As Cat And Dog!!! Will See You Soon At Steam School In April. Kevin

Larry Mix

We also have the 24 Minneapolis that Dave Wachter bought up and running. It didn't take much to get this engine going. The engine is at Norm Stevens place at Bellevue, Michigan.

Mike McKnight

Colin said:
hey Kevin:) was thinking about this thread earlier today and how it slipped away. know theres a 50 and 65 case going, 32 port huron, 30? huber, and a russell i think, theres been some articles in steam traction. I seem to remember something about that 50 being driven by a blonde girl:) :eek: My friend in SD is itching to get at the other 50 but they've got a couple projects to do before getting to it :(
Colin,
Saw the 50 HP Case down in Georgia a few months ago (the one driven by the blonde). It's still in its work clothes, about the way it was in Steam Traction awhile back. I saw (and got to drive a little bit) John Haley's 65 HP Case back at Pontiac, IL, and it was still in its work clothes. Just hard to believe he brought that thing home, got it unstuck, did a hydro and steamed it up a couple of days after getting it home! Why can't I ever fiond anything like that?
Mike

Kevin Small

Colt,
Here are two photos taken at Wauseon,Ohio in 2005. From L to R 1920 30HP Huber#11275 owned by Doug Langenbach.1922 16HP Russell #17085 owned by Matt Kemler, 1915 65HP Case #32768 owned by John Haley, and a 1914 32-100 HP Port Huron owned by Phil Zuver and Richard Schneipp. These four engines were the stars of show. The third photo was taken at Somerset,Va A1916 28HP Minneapolis #8384 owned by Gil Roberts. All five of these engines are in excellent mechanical shape. ENJOY!

Colin

I dont know how i forgot about this original black Rynda engine when i made my post above. its a 20hp Advanced owned by J.T. Jr. Pete Mandt is in the picture. he was working at Larson welding in Fargo last spring and did the work on this engine. it was running for the Minnesota steam meeting in mid April 05. maybe john can give some more details, i cant remember what work was done boiler wise on it. Its neat seeing the engines fixed up and running not painted. i think id be tepmted to leave them original for awhile, maybe just paint the boilers. you do all that hard work of scraping and stuff and they get black anyways:crazy: IM wondering if anyone can confirm if Haleys rear wheels are 22"? they look like they are. Acording to the parts book they went from 20 to 22 after 33099. but his number is older than this. Chuck do you have a B# off this engine? and do you know if the tag was still on it.

Attachments

Kevin Small

Hello Colin. Great picture of the Advance-Rumley. I agree that the engines look better without being repainted. When those engines were unloaded from the railroad,they did not stay pretty for very long. Sure would like to see this engine at Rollag this year. Look forward to seeing you there. Kevin

Kevin Small

Colin, i'll have to check and see if i have posted the correct# for Haleys 65.i will post acouple more pics of it tomorrow. Kevin

Chuck Sindelar

In Memory Of
Colin said:
I dont know how i forgot about this original black Rynda engine when i made my post above. its a 20hp Advanced owned by J.T. Jr. Pete Mandt is in the picture. he was working at Larson welding in Fargo last spring and did the work on this engine. it was running for the Minnesota steam meeting in mid April 05. maybe john can give some more details, i cant remember what work was done boiler wise on it. Its neat seeing the engines fixed up and running not painted. i think id be tepmted to leave them original for awhile, maybe just paint the boilers. you do all that hard work of scraping and stuff and they get black anyways:crazy: IM wondering if anyone can confirm if Haleys rear wheels are 22"? they look like they are. Acording to the parts book they went from 20 to 22 after 33099. but his number is older than this. Chuck do you have a B# off this engine? and do you know if the tag was still on it.
I think they look like 22 inch wheels too--but we must remember that they could be ordered wider in 2 inch increments for a bit more money. A 1914, 65 near here (#31270) has 24 inch drivers, and it should have 20s as standard. I can not put my hands on my notes from Rynda's right now, so not sure of the boiler number right now-- but am quite sure that one had no tag--I am not sure how they came up with that number???
chuck

Kevin Small

Here are two photos of John Haley’s 65 HP Case at Wauseon, OH. I believe I gave the incorrect serial number in my last post. It is a fine engine. I can’t tell if it has 20” or 22” wheels. Sorry for the mix-up. I told John “You sure did a nice job restoring your 65”. HA!

KRHough

One more that is up and running is the Ericson Families 20? HP Woods Brothers. it is ALSO at the Central States Threshermans Reunion in Pontiac, IL. I ran this engine for a little bit, and it also runs well.

KR

This is John Tysse Jr.'s Advance Rumely from Rynda's sale. It was run and shown at the Divide County Threshing show at Crosby, ND. Maybe John can ad some information to this post.

Attachments

Tom Runty

Subscriber
Another Rynda engine up and running is the 24 Port Huron, purchased by John Malsch of Pell Lake, WI. He has taken it to the Sycamore Show and to Freeport. Governors' not quite right yet, but it will be a horse when he gets done.

It can be seen at numerous websites that have pictures of the Sycamore Show's 50th anniversary - Mark Corson's site, and Steve Barr's as well.

Tom

Beth V

Well, since I asked the question about the 24 Port, here was the answer....Any more of the engines back in steam?

Thanks
Beth