• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Sally Saw

Raydar

Registered
Hello all! I just inherited my great grandfather's Sally Saw. After a lot of Web searching I came up with very little. What I did find was this wealth of knowledge and cool pictures. I will be adding my own, soon.

As it currently sites it looks all original. I have one blade and my aunt called yesterday saying she found the owners manual. The only thing I don't have is the finger that sticks off the cutting head.

My friend and I tried to fire it up but no luck. It has spark but only 60#s of compression. He took the head off and said there is some scaring on the cylinder wall. Think we can hone it out...

Any recommendations for a place to get parts?

Edward Cole

Registered
Raydar !!! I have a Sally that is near complete I do not have the stand for it
Got it 2 yr. ago I knew where it was But took about 10 year to catch the owner in the mood to sell .. I would like to get a copy of the owners manual.
My saw has a Lauson engine on it . Have not worked to get it running " YET "
I am in Puyallup ED COLE.

Tim B

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
04/22/2020
Compression doesn't sound too bad, I'll have to check mine. I too would like a copy of the owners manual.

Partsman

Card Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
02/05/2020
Hi I am a sponsor on this site. I have engine parts for your saw. Let me know what you need. Thanks Jim; Jim,s Antique Small Engine Parts.

Raydar

Registered

---------- Post added at 08:51:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41:56 PM ----------

These pics are fresh out of the box that she has lived in for over 25 years! Grams moved into the house in 1990 and none of us remember seeing it. The tank and stand were not mounted but in the box with the motor. The blade was in a separate cardboard sheave. And all 3 boxes were in separate corners of the basement. It's a total wonder that I managed to find it all.

I plan on leaving it as original as possible. Just want it to run.

coyote62ny

Registered
60 lbs of compression dont sound bad for an engine that old i would get spark clean the carb you could lap the valves by hand it wont hurt and give it a try it might supprise you

Raydar

Registered

Got the valves out today. Think we found the no start issue! And I think the timing may be off, looks like the mag was messed with.

Raydar

Registered
Here are a few pictures from the Owners Manual. It is missing the cover but the other 36 pages are in good shape.

Center Fold

Front page

Some useful info

Raydar

Registered
So the good news is that we got the motor back together. Unfortunately now we don't have any spark. We had it before the tear down but now it's gone. My buddy thinks it's the condenser. Any suggestions?

s100

Registered
If you had spark before but have none now, my first thing to check would be the points. If they are not burned clean them with a piece of paper soaked with electronic contact cleaner. If they are burned file don't sand or replace. Make sure the gap is right. Also inspect for grounded wires, broken wires or a spark plug wire with a break or crack in the insulation. Use an ohm meter to make sure things that are supposed to be grounded are, and things that aren't supposed to be, aren't. Check the coil for continuity, as well. It's easy to check the condenser, but I count it unlikely as the source of your problem. Good luck!

hawidmer

Registered
Hi Raydar: I also have a sally saw, complete and running ,all original, including stand. also looking for owners manual

hawidmer

Registered
Hi I also have a sally saw, all original, and runs good. would like to get a copy of the owners manual that you have access to. is that possible ?

wyalusing jim

Registered
after I got mine running a few years back, I tried it out on a 6x6. took about 3 minutes to get through it, so I'm gonna stick with my stihl. :)