• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Samson Tractors

Russ Hamm

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/12/2024
Re: Samson tractors

The tractors in the picture were available from 1919- 1921 by 1922 GMC quit making tractors altogether. The Iron Horse rein drive at the right was built after january 1919.

Kent McMakin

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/05/2019

The Samson M tractor, the iron horse and the Samson trucks were made in Janesville, Wi. by General Motors. A new plant was built there, in 1919, just to produce the tractor line. When the tractor line proved unprofitable, the plant was converted over to auto/truck line. This is the short version of a bigger, but very interesting, story.

John Hamilton

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
05/25/2019

Thanks to all. This business is a very important part of our downtown history and it is encouraging to get the dates right. Also interesting that Will Moore was named a dealer in a line that only lasted from 1919 to 1921.

casertractor

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/24/2018

Thanks to all. This business is a very important part of our downtown history and it is encouraging to get the dates right. Also interesting that Will Moore was named a dealer in a line that only lasted from 1919 to 1921.

I am not shure if their is anyone keeping info on Samson tractors or Samson dealerships or not ?:shrug:.I would be intersted in knowing who were Dealers in Canada as some of the trucks i belive were produced in Oshawa and maybe tractors aswell.John

casertractor

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/24/2018

I see in that picture their is also a Samson Iron Horse.what is the time frame for production on those tractors?.John

John Hamilton

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
05/25/2019

Russ Hamm listed above the tractors were only produced from 1919 to 1921 then the plant was converted to truck production.

cchopper

Registered

Interesting picture. I have a similar picture (another dealership) on my website: www.samsonmodelm.com

Can you tell if the tie rod is in front of the front axle? If so this would be 1919 or real early 1920.

Terry Welch

Registered

The plant where the Samson's were built at in Janesville is being sold. GM mothballed it and now is doing away with it. Most likely will be torn down. It is a shame.

cchopper

Registered

Thanks for the update on plant might be being torn down. I took a picture of it 2 or 3 years ago. Same front as when the Samsons were being manufactured there! I had an original post card to compare with. Ernie