• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. Be Considerate, this is an application to JOIN Smokstak, therefore it becomes part of a decision to open the door to you or send you off to the dropout file. Place your City, State, Country in the location box and it will be compared to where the internet lookup utilities say that you are. Don't give me a zip code to look up, the Eject button is much easier. We get hundreds of applications, so there is not time for monkey business.

Saving a Delco

toytech40

Registered
A couple of weeks ago i went a few miles down the road to meet Gary (whitefarms) he had told me of a Delco light plant in the basement of his Grandfathers house which was falling down that if I was interested I could have if i was willing to get it out of there. So after 2 hours it was headed home with me. I already had 1 delco I have been working on for some time but this one was actually in better shape then mine and may be easier to make into a runner. That evening and the next day I worked on it and cleaned the mouse nest out of the generator side and cooling air passages, wasable to remove the head and am working on getting the exhaust valve to free up, but the casting that the rocker shaft goes through broke off, I have the piece, so may have to try to reattach. I also have thead off the other delco, but both valves are stuck,and am working to free them. The engine turns freely now, I have lubed the cylinder and it has good seal when I place my hand over the op and rotates the engine. I also have purchased a third on o ebay which was 100 miles from me for a parts donor in case I need more pieces, theprice was right a nd sounds and looks like to be a good donor(haven't got it home yet.) Here are some pics of it in it's natural habitat,and now in my garage being inspected.

Thanks again Gary!!

Andy

Attachments

toytech40

Registered
No the glass battieries were long gone. I do have one glass battery case i got from another set up, but just the caes. i might know where some plates without cases might be.

Andy