• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Your account is then manually checked and approved. There is too much funny business on the web for us to do otherwise. Be sure to use a working email address and do not use cloaking or anonymous web connections.

Saw Mill at Alexander, New York, Sept 7-10, 2017

DaveMisch

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/05/2019
Here are some pictures by Bob Melville, of our saw mill operation. We usually saw all day long because we have projects for the lumber. The roof blew off this building during a March wind storm. The building was brought to our grounds about 20 years ago from its original site. The wood was in such bad shape that we determined that we needed a whole new building. The posts, trusses and metal roof have been replaced by a contractor. We will be cutting siding during this year's Rally. Two different steamers are shown as we rotate what they are doing to give all the members a chance to show off their equipment.

See our web site at www.alexandersteamshow.com

Dave Mischler

Attachments

Last edited:

DaveMisch

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/05/2019
Re: Saw Mill , Alexander, NY Sep 7-10,2017

More of Bob Melville's Pictures. Picked some pictures that show the spectators. We have them all day long. We have a net between the action and the spectators. You can see it in all of these photos. This was a "suggestion" from our insurance company. (do it or else) Does not hurt the view any.

51st Rally Sep 7-10, 2017 www.alexandersteamshow.com

Dave Mischler

Attachments

DaveMisch

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/05/2019
Re: Saw Mill , Alexander, NY Sep 7-10,2017

A week ago the trusses and posts were on a pile and I thought they would be up by now, but today, Aug 17, I found the piles still on the ground. It is all staked out so I expect construction will begin shortly. Here are pictures I took today.

See our web site www.alexandersteamshow.com

Dave Mischler

Attachments

Last edited:

DaveMisch

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/05/2019
There will be no saw mill operation at this years Rally. The contractor had a catastrophy and all trusses are wrecked. Two employees were injured. Here are pictures I took today.

Dave Mischler

Attachments

Last edited:

DaveMisch

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/05/2019
The president says we will for sure run the portable saw mill.

I bought a gallon of safety yellow paint . I painted all the row markers for the parking field. Sat I painted the seat and backs of 10 two person old bus seats.
Yesterday I went back out and finished off the gallon of paint on guard rails around the grounds.

Dave Mischler www.alexandersteamshow.com

Odin

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019
The portable sawmill worked well enough for the shape it was in, and quite a few logs were cut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp0ajAs4c0s

Usually had a crowd of people watching it too, even when we had to stop for a while to let a bearing on the saw arbor cool down there was still people watching and waiting for it to start again.

I didn't know there had been an attempt made to get a new building up after the old one collapsed. Did the poles get taken out of the ground again when the trusses collapsed in order to keep them dry until a renewed attempt at building upon them could be made?