• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Your account is then manually checked and approved. There is too much funny business on the web for us to do otherwise. Be sure to use a working email address and do not use cloaking or anonymous web connections.

Sawing down a big tree one piece at a time. Interesting video

Kevin O. Pulver

Email NOT Working
Last Subscription Date
02/14/2020
Pretty amazing! It seems a shame to cut down such a specimen. Why doesn't someone invent a way to move such things. It would be worth millions... but probably cost millions to do. Still, you can't BUY shade like that, and a few would be willing and able to pay for it, if it were possible to do.

Geist

Registered
Last Subscription Date
05/02/2016
I hate to see that, it looked like a healthy tree,and to just use the wood for just firewood, looked like good lumber, it is just a same:(:(

OTTO-Sawyer

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/15/2019
I'm guessing the way they quartered the bottom section that it at least would be used for lumber.

Quite possible the upper slabs may have been destined for a shingle mill.

Geist

Registered
Last Subscription Date
05/02/2016
you might be right, that did look like a cedar tree but it was really big for one, how big do they get?

Handlebar99

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/23/2020
Had a similar experience with an 80 foot tall pine tree in my front yard this past summer. The crew was a little different --just one guy and the only equipment he used were ropes, chainsaw, and climbing spikes. The trunk at the butt was only 24 inches across so no fancy quarter sawing was required. I manned the ropes on the ground, he limbed his way up, and reduced the tree to rounds 2 foot in length, from the top down.

The best part of the story is that the guy was in his seventies and only wanted $100 for the job. (You better believe I tipped him well.) His business card said "Professional Arborist, in business since 1961" He said he spends his winters in Tahiti, so I guess He must have had a pretty successful career.

Ray Rice, happy to be on the ground, in Rifton

OTTO-Sawyer

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/15/2019
you might be right, that did look like a cedar tree but it was really big for one, how big do they get?
Video title said it was a Sequoia, which the really old ones can get to be hundreds of feet tall over several hundred years.

Jim Tremble

Registered
Last Subscription Date
03/20/2016
Come out to the Pacific North West and I will show you stumps that are 10'-14' through the butt. They did get bigger than that in Northern California. A friend has an electric chain saw that has a 20' bar and chain. Made for the California Red Woods.

Jim