Sawyer Massey Steam Engines

Tim Searson

eMail NOT Working
I am looking for Sawyer Massey steam engines across the country putting a ser # list together just like some of the case guys, any catalogs etc would help alot
Thanks for your help in advance
Tim :)

R

Rick Mannen

Re: Sawyer Massey steam Engines

Timothy - See the pix I put on the "Winnipeg Trials" thread of the 115 S-M. When are you going to bring one of those home buddy? ;) Also, when are you going to tell us some of the history of your family's working with Sawyer-Massey engines - how many generations?
Rick.

Tim:

It is about time you showed up here!! I trust you had a good New Year and Christmas. With regards to this S-M thread,..................now you're cooking with gas :D .

Robert

Ok Tim you asked for it:

This is the 76 Sawyer that was onced owned by the late George Hutchinson of Kilworthy, Ontario. Not sure of the #, but may be able to find it. George sold this engine to a fellow [who shall remain nameless ;) ] here in the village of Creemore. It was thought he only bought it on speck to begin with. It was only a few short years and the engine was listed and sold. It went west then east then west again. I believe it is now somewhere south of the border. Perhaps Washington or Oregon. Anyone out there recognize it??

George and his brother Les hauled this engine out of the bush in the Gravenhurst area many years ago. The story of it's recovery was publilshed in an old issue of I.M.A.. Though the engine was nver a Ontario Department of Highways engine, it came with flat bar cleats on the rear, and slip covers for the fronts. There is an early photo of this engine with the slip covers mounted on the front wheels. It had been meant to run the roads, though spent most of it's life running a sawmill. George was a grand man, and his Sawyer was a great engine.

Robert

Attachments

One more Tim:

This is a 1913 colour view of the Compound Sawyer from a catalogue I have here. Nice pic except for the water stains. No h.p. is given to idicate the size of this engine.

Robert

Attachments

Tim Searson

eMail NOT Working

Here is a picture of my grandfather's and great grandfather's engine that was bought in 1928 for threshing. Before he got the engine it was at the John Goodison in Sarina,Ont and had the front smoke box door removed and the front wheels and the cylinder name plate removed they put there's on, Goodison front door and wheels, this was there way of recondishing a steam engine. My grandfather threshed and sawed logs with this engine untill the early 1960's the engine had problems and was cheaper to get another engine then was to fix at that time( as well as he had work to be done not sitting around for repairs to be down) Bought a Third engine and keep working later on the engine was fixed and put back in service this is when it had the cylinder name plate put back on! The front door and wheels were never changed because it is part of it's historyof the engine.

This engine is a 1913 Built in Nov of 1913 for the 1914 year Ser # 3936 my uncle owns this engine now and has done lots of work on in The engine has not been painted like this since the early 1960's Just a little history on this engine
The family still owns the second and the third engine that my grandfather bought to this day.

So Sawyer Massey has been in my blood from the get go, I am Fourth Generation of steam

Attachments

Tim Searson

eMail NOT Working

Hi Robert

It is about time i hear from you do you think i have someting going here??
Did you have a great hoilday? Food and all! :rolleyes:
Thanks for the info and keep it coming
Tim

David Stirk

Hi Robert

That picture of the Sawyer Massey looks like it was taken at Georgine Bay show in BEETON? I am pretty sure one year we were there with my 68 sawyer & parked beside the man you mention. Im not swearing but pretty sure that its a 68 hp same as mine. Rear wheels were same height as i recollect. 68s had 68" x30wide. 76 had 75" tall wheels. Quite a bit taller. ??? I will have to go look for some old pictures i have.

Tim, i have a list of 49 Sawyer Massey engines,owners & #'s. I will email it to you to compair. Its on excell document. (coming soon)

Dave: No swearing, we're British. I first saw that engine in ' 66 when it was shown at the first show in Barrie, and from that day always knew it to be a 76. Anytime time Geroge had it on display, or it was featured in a publication, I seem to recall it was listed as such. Will have to go back through some old publications and see what I find.

You are correct the photo was taken at Beeton, should be 1990/91. I always loved that fluted funnel for filling the boiler. This engine came with the stack more common to western engines, and not the diamond ring and tapered stack as seen here, much like yours had many years ago. I think there is a pic at home showing this. I will post some pics of yours from about '67 when I get the chance.

Tim: Did have a good holiday season, though have been under the weather. Alll is well here, raining like blazes to boot.

Robert

R

Rick Mannen

Tim Searson said:
Rick
How about you put some more sawyer info out there ??
Timmy?
I thought you were the Sawyer guru? But, just to get you off my back, here is some data and a couple o' questions:
c1915+ Sawyer-Massey side mounts?
-38hp portable; 7x10 single; 26" diam boiler; 32 x 2" tubes x79&1/2"; fire box 38lx22&1/2wx30h; 170psi. Now, is this the same as 13hp traction?

-51hp portable; 8x10 single; 28 &1/4" diam boiler; 39 x2" tubes 82" long; firebox 39&1/2 x24&1/2 x33; 175psi. Now, is this the same as 17hp traction?

-60hp traction or portable(?); 9x10 single; 30&5/8" boiler diam; 44 x2" x96" long tubes; firebox 41&3/4 x 25&1/2 x37; 175psi. Now, is this the same as the 20hp?

Aloha,
Rick.

R

Rick Mannen

More Sawyer stats from the early teens(?):

Class B Side Mount Engines:

B3 - simple - 22x68 - 9x11; firebox lxhxw 44x35&1/2x26; tubes 44 x2" x89&1/4; 170psi; Sawyer-Massey (Woods) valve gear.
B5 - simple - 25x76 - 9&1/2x11; firebox 44x37x29; tubes 56x2"x89&1/4; 167psi (?); S-M valve gear.
B7 - tandem compound - 27-82 - 7&1/4and11x10; other stats same as B3; Woolf gear.
B9 - tandem compound - 30-96 - 7&1/2and12x11; stats same as B5; woolf gear.
B11 - tandem compound - 32-106 - 7&3/4and12&1/2x11; firebox 50x37x29; tubes 56x2"x95&1/4; 172psi; Woolf gear.

Now, wouldnt that B11 be one big slob of a side mount engine :eek: Class C Rear Mounts are the same ratings, etc, but wider wheel tread. C3, 5,7,9,11.. Class C13 is 35-115 simple 12x14; firebox 54x42x34&1/2; tubes 74x2"x102; 396sq ft heating surface; 84x30 rear wheels; S-M valve gear.
Rear wheels on B3,C3 are 68diamx24tread; B5,7,9,C5,7,9,11 are 68x30.
Rick.

R

Rick Mannen

Sorry, meant to say Class C has wider wheel tread on the fronts - 43x12 for all Class B, 43x15 for Cs except C13, 115hp is 54x15. But I suppose there could have been variations on the wheels too. Waterloo engines for instance seem to have an endless variety of rear wheels.
It's your turn now Timmy. Spill the beans with all that info you have been hoarding there :D Oh, and if you can bring home a C13, I'll kiss your *** right out on the town square of London, ON :eek:

R

Rick Mannen

Here are a couple of photos of interest including one of the S-M valve gear. Some of the Sawyers, I have seen some 20hps, used the regular link type gear - maybe in later years???

Attachments

Rick: That valve gear looks awfully familiar. People tend not to think of this valve arangement on a Sawyer enigne. Ours was [is] 1915. Wayne had not seen that before.

If you are going to kiss Tim's behind :eek: , in the London town square, let me know so that I can make sure there is film in the camera :D . Great photo of the Sawyer loading docks by the by.

Robert

R

Rick Mannen

Timothy? When are you going to start sharing all that Sawyer-Massey literature that you have been hoarding away? I would have thought you would push this thread to the limit:confused: Just to stir you up, maybe I'll try and take over this thread with stuff from a real engine company;)
Rick.

Attachments

R

Rick Mannen

Farmall_Doctor said:
Now you're talkin' Rick! A george White is a Gentleman's engine!!:D hehe;)
See ya,
Darryn:cool:
Darryn - As the White people said, if you want "fancy" look elsewhere; but if you want the work done, buy a George White! Say? I hear your neighbour Ralph had an ill wind that blew in the other day and flattened his camper trailer with a spruce tree! I'll bet he is none too happy about that - I heard that news from a certain Waterloo engine rebuilder in Saskatchewan!
Rick.

Farmall_Doctor

Yep, Ralph and I went to lunch today. He's waiting for the insurance co. to call back. Apparently they said "you shouldn't have parked it under a tree"....Typical!:confused: I told him that I heard the news from you (hehe) and he firgured that "rascal" from out west must have told about everyone by now.:D
Here's another beautiful picture of a White.
Take care,
Darryn.:cool: