• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Sawyer Massey Steam Engines

David Hoover

Subscriber
In this part of the world, the Rumely’s were the sought after sawmill king. If you couldn’t get a 36 hp Rumely then you looked for the next best.

halcon

Registered
In this part of the world, the Rumely’s were the sought after sawmill king. If you couldn’t get a 36 hp Rumely then you looked for the next best.
OH, Where'd they all go? There seems to be a quite a few 110s around that were X sawmill engines. They were in the game till the end of steam too.:salute:

MFaris

Registered
I think this thread should be renamed "Sawyer Massey steam engines, better than Case, but still not as good as Rumely". I think this would accurately reflect reality...:wave:
....ducks for cover....

David Hoover

Subscriber
There’s quite a few pics and stories that survived, the Rumely’s were run till they wouldn’t run anymore. George can attest to that better from his part collecting experiences. There were lots of mills around here and lots of big fires that burnt up mills and engines. Being closer to the Edmonton scrap yards didn’t help there existence either. But by the stories that are left, if a Rumely was available it got put to work quick.

---------- Post added at 12:12:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:11:24 PM ----------

I think this thread should be renamed "Sawyer Massey steam engines, better than Case, but still not as good as Rumely". I think this would accurately reflect reality...:wave:
....ducks for cover....
I agree ....

FWurth

One Millionth Post
Last Subscription Date
07/29/2019
Not to point fingers at which engine was better, one has think more along as to why some lasted into later times. One thing I never hear mentioned in this crowing match, who supplied parts yet in later years? Case was a big builder and equally were still supplying parts long after all the others were extinct. Well into the modern times you could still get Case steam parts from certain branch houses. This lasted until Tenneco took over. I have a set of new pistons and sleeves for a 22-40 Case tractor that are packed in a Tenneco box! The builders that still supplied parts were the engines that worked later than the rest. Keck still supplied parts well into the 50s, same with Harrison, This is why there are still a good number of them in this area. Those Saw Mill that used the big engines were all about production, no time to fool around with down time. If the power unit wasn't going, no work got done, that meant no income! If they couldn't get repairs, out it went! Many operators kept a inventory of spare parts on hand, just like todays operators.

David Hoover

Subscriber
One thing I forgot to mention is that right at the time the steam saw mills were getting converted to diesel, oil was struck in this area. This led to an instant need for portable boilers of big capacity and good pressure. Many of the remaining traction engine boilers went into this service. The oil patch guys didn’t need engines or wheels so that stuff was the first to go. I never did find a good reason for the 173psi pressure cap put on the 110 Case in Alberta, other than possibly the boiler branch was tired of Case’s attempts to beat the new rules and kept them 2 lbs away from top pressure. Kinda like saying Of course you can come to the party, but sit on that stool in the corner and behave yourself!

casertractor

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/24/2018
In my opinion we should leave the name of this thread alone as it has been a great thread in general and alot of work has gone into it from Tim Searson,G Willikers,David Hoover,myself and many others "IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT":D but any of you folks are more then welcome to start a brand vs brand thread if you want...... "GET R DONE" :D.Their are some threads here on the Steam boards that cover Rumely steam engines but a general thread like this one would be great and their is already a fine J.I. Case steam engine thread going
https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87681&highlight=case+pictures

For Tim's sake lets keep things as is

halcon

Registered
Pretty hard to get a Case to behave they are all ways out there doing things. That pressure of 173 was 13 lbs above the 160# Case required. So the 110s merrily kept bustin sod while the Rumelys where in having there crown sheet straightened. because they didn't know where to locate the water glass.

FWurth

One Millionth Post
Last Subscription Date
07/29/2019
When exactly did Sawyer Massey stop and what became of them? Were they taken over by another or did they simply close out? How late did they build steam and how long did they supply parts back up? Personally I've never heard much details, not surprising as I'm clear down here in the lower Midwest.

G Willikers

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
05/01/2019
Mr. Wurth,
Sawyer-Massey was active through World War II. It was taken over by Hamilton Bridge & Tank Co. in c1947. I think there were still S-M products built after that time, such as motor graders. I have no idea when S-M quit building steam power?
Hamilton Bridge is an old company too. I was at a get together Friday night and a fellow did a talk on building a newer version of the Welland Canal during World War I. Hamilton Bridge was very much involved in that as well, and so was Sawyer.

David Hoover

Subscriber
I don’t think the grader business lasted much longer than the early ‘30’s. There’s one of their later graders here with a 22-36 engine in it, it’s a big grader! They built truck bodies and trailers for a few years then started selling Austin Western equipment in the mid 30’s that carried them into the early ‘40’s.

George Hoffman

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
04/28/2018
Pretty hard to get a Case to behave they are all ways out there doing things. That pressure of 173 was 13 lbs above the 160# Case required. So the 110s merrily kept bustin sod while the Rumelys where in having there crown sheet straightened. because they didn't know where to locate the water glass.
I thought I'd rattle your chain. However that is a great come back! I'm going out to check my crown sheet.
Cheers. George

G Willikers

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
05/01/2019
The honourary mayor of a certain Prairie town has told me that American-Abell engines were a favourite with sawmills?
Incidentally, I have ridden around said town on his simpled S&M, and did a full tour, with a stop over for coffee and a sandwich at the little café, now closed. He also got his mail and did some banking. All of this on a few sticks of wood found along the route!:O:D

halcon

Registered
The honourary mayor of a certain Prairie town has told me that American-Abell engines were a favourite with sawmills?
Incidentally, I have ridden around said town on his simpled S&M, and did a full tour, with a stop over for coffee and a sandwich at the little café, now closed. He also got his mail and did some banking. All of this on a few sticks of wood found along the route!:O:D
Those simpled engines will work you just have to know how to work em. ;):)

David Hoover

Subscriber
. That thing drives like a car.

Tractornutz

Registered
Good morning. I see it’s a bit late but I have a sawyer massy streamer, if your still working on data where they are all at?