• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Sawyer Massey Steam Engines

GreasyIron

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/28/2019
Probably nobody I know anyway, but I just noticed that there seems to be an "elf" hiding behind the stack on the December photo (a 76HP SM at Ontario Steam Heritage Museum) of the 2019 E&E Steam Calendar. Perhaps an "elf on the shelf?"

George Hoffman

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
04/28/2018
A fellow just sent me this photo from Aug. 1992. This, I am told is the largest existing Sawyer. My old friend Harry Burt rescued it from an old sawmill site in the 70's He called it a 32--100 rear mount. There is a side mount somewhere in Ontario of the same size. Harry wanted me to buy it before he advertised it for sale. It went south of the border in about 1995. At one of the US shows I met the owner who I think lives in Illinois. In the 90's we tried to plow with it on my 10 bottom Avery plow. It wouldn't pull worth a damn. I could have bought it for 20 grand then but had the Sawyer I have now.
Does any one know where it is now?
Cheers George.image1.jpeg

George Hoffman

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
04/28/2018
In the photo the right front wheel looks like it is falling off . I see it has cast iron front wheels which I think were with it in the bush. They look like 15 inches wide so look proper.

Mnickel

Registered
I'm new to the forum - but I know of a Sawyer Massey in Alberta, Canada that was once owned by a relative. The last I know of its whereabouts is that it was sold by Lindstrand Auctions. Can anyone identify it? I'd like to learn more about it and maybe even track it down. What I find interesting is that Stan Reynolds obviously knew about it, but was not able to get it.
IMG_1980.JPGIMG_1981.JPG

Last edited:

casertractor

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/24/2018
I'm new to the forum - but I know of a Sawyer Massey in Alberta, Canada that was once owned by a relative. The last I know of its whereabouts is that it was sold by Lindstrand Auctions. Can anyone identify it? I'd like to learn more about it and maybe even track it down. What I find interesting is that Stan Reynolds obviously knew about it, but was not able to get it.
View attachment 372434View attachment 372435
Looks like a 20-22 hp ?