• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Your account is then manually checked and approved. There is too much funny business on the web for us to do otherwise. Be sure to use a working email address and do not use cloaking or anonymous web connections.

say goodbye to huge bessemers

Rod Fielder

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/14/2016

1000 hp tandem cooper bessemers.

this is one of, if not the, last big pumping stations left in america. the clean air act said, replace it boys. dr. paul harvey, stewart, and dylan came down from coolspring for a visit and we went and spent the afternoon here. the last run day for this station in rockport wv is may 12, 2013. had a great time and it was sad to think of the fate of these beauties. hundres of thousands of hours service for over half a century, and they will be scrapped and replaced by 2 3606 cats. does anyone here think the cats will be that much better for mankind. you might be able to go to your local toyoto dealer and get a piece of one of these.

:bonk::bonk::bonk:

Keith Kinney

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
10/02/2019
WOW! That place needs to be declared a national historic site and preserved. Thanks for sharing the video with us.
Keith

Bill Hazzard

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/28/2008
The last I heard was that they were going to put catalytic converters on the exhaust and keep them running. I guess that changed. The eccentric engine is a C&G Cooper engine like the one at Rough and Tumble. It was built in 1914 so it has been in continous service for 99 years. I would think that would be a world record for a gas engine. It probably has over 600,000 hours on it. Are there any clubs out there that need a big engine for display?

Rod Fielder

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/14/2016
they compress natural gas from new orleans and distribute it all points north. there are other compressor stations all along the line, but they are modernized. in this video you can see the 136 ton beasts move on their bases

---------- Post added at 11:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 PM ----------

:brows::brows::brows:

---------- Post added at 11:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 PM ----------

The last I heard was that they were going to put catalytic converters on the exhaust and keep them running. I guess that changed. The eccentric engine is a C&G Cooper engine like the one at Rough and Tumble. It was built in 1914 so it has been in continous service for 99 years. I would think that would be a world record for a gas engine. It probably has over 600,000 hours on it. Are there any clubs out there that need a big engine for display?
hey bill
the fella today told me that after 130 thousand hours, engine set #1 was torn down and the cylinder wear was .006. they put it back together and now it's on 31,000 hours since then and going strong.

Mike G

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/11/2014
Amazing footage, thanks for sharing!

Is there a way to visit the site before it is shut down? Not sure how much has been done but it would be nice to take some high res photos of the place.

Mike

Lester Bowman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
The noblest creations of man destroyed by the brutal beast of ignorance and indifference...Our country is becoming darker by the hour.

Tom Weatherford

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
04/27/2016
Jim Glass and myself were there about 2 years ago. Had a great time. Glad we went and saw them in action.

legendenergy

Registered
VERY cool! Thanks for shareing. Damn EPA, they just have to justify thier exhistance. I've ran cat engines before and they are expensive and hard to work on. These Bessy's are a thing of beauty and deserve to run as long as they will.

JIMnWV

eMail NOT Working
Last Subscription Date
08/25/2011
Rod,
Thanks for sharing these videos with us, those are some magnificent engines :wave:.

Now my question to everyone......
Who is the dumbass that decided to replace these engines with engines pulled from the cass 8 truck market because they "can't meet" EPA ratings..:shrug:
Caterpillar, and Mack engines both are discontinued because of the EPA in over the road trucks, it does'nt make sense to me. Yea yea yea, I know they still produce off road engines, but it still does'nt make sense.

Jim

gleaner

Registered
Rod,
Thanks for sharing these videos with us, those are some magnificent engines :wave:.

Now my question to everyone......
Who is the dumbass that decided to replace these engines with engines pulled from the cass 8 truck market because they "can't meet" EPA ratings..:shrug:
Caterpillar, and Mack engines both are discontinued because of the EPA in over the road trucks, it does'nt make sense to me. Yea yea yea, I know they still produce off road engines, but it still does'nt make sense.

Jim
Hopey/Changey.

Thanks demorats.

jht1057

Registered
So.....if they are pumping natural gas......why aren't they running on natural gas ??

Burns cleaner than gas or diesel......no converters needed.

Serious waste of money to remove and replace these.......whatever happened to "if it works don't fix it" ??

:bonk:

Jim

Bill Hazzard

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/28/2008
So.....if they are pumping natural gas......why aren't they running on natural gas ??

Burns cleaner than gas or diesel......no converters needed.

Serious waste of money to remove and replace these.......whatever happened to "if it works don't fix it" ??

:bonk:

Jim
They are burning natural gas.

Rod Fielder

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/14/2016
the epa was started by richard nixon. he pushed it as hard as he could. can't blame the epa on the left. sorry

rod

---------- Post added at 10:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 PM ----------

They are burning natural gas.
i went up on the hillside and watched the stacks for about a half hour. i didn't see any black smoke or soot. the stacks were clean, very clean.

Toesmack

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/08/2019
The 3606 is a little large for the class 8 trucks. Approx 35,000 lbs dry weight would demand quite a front axle and tires would be a killer. These are used primarily as a pumping engine, power generation or marine app.

Sure seems like the original engines could be made emission compliant for a lot less than replacement with 3606's at several hundred thousand each.

RWellman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
The gas co. looks at it cost wise, the newer engines require less labor, lubricants & etc. & are supposedly more efficient which means more money in their pockets! They may also get a kickback for installing a more "epa" friendly engines. I have witnessed many times when the modern replacement failed & they had to start the engines 70 years older (at the time) to come to the rescue!

Rod Fielder

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/14/2016
The gas co. looks at it cost wise, the newer engines require less labor, lubricants & etc. & are supposedly more efficient which means more money in their pockets! They may also get a kickback for installing a more "epa" friendly engines. I have witnessed many times when the modern replacement failed & they had to start the engines 70 years older (at the time) to come to the rescue!
also reed, they tore down a plant exactly like this on in the charleston area and they scrapped all of them instead of saving the parts for these, so the parts are not available and have to be cast and machined.