• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

School Demonstration Cut-Away Engine

Ryan Anderson

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/17/2019
Is there any information out there about this cut-away demonstration engine? The only identifier on it is a sticker under the base that says Made in Germany.

There is a bulb socket that would light when it would fire if you connected a battery to it. The socket is about 3/8". It is strange because it has female threads where the bulb would go. I don't think it takes any kind of common automotive bulb. Does anybody know what bulb would fit in it?

Attachments

Elden DuRand

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
12/22/2017
Flashlights and other battery appliances used to have screw-in bulbs. I think I may have a few of the small envelope kind in my bulb box.

If you don't luck out and want to pay postage, measure the bulb carefully so I can make sure they will fit and I will send you one or more that should work.

Most of them were rated from one cell (1-1/2 volts) to six cell (9 volts).

Kirk Taylor

Registered
Thanks for the replies guys.

A #12-24 threaded in there, but seemed a little loose.
That sounds like it may be an E5 "midget screw base" socket. The E5 base is 0.2" in diameter and was popular in sub-miniature Christmas lights at one time. They're available on-line or maybe in a well-stocked hobby store.

Ryan Anderson

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/17/2019
Thanks for the reply guys. I do not think this is the E type bulbs you are talking about. The threads in that socket are sharp machine cut threads. The #12 machine screw threaded in there. I do not think those bulbs with the big rolled threads would work.

Elden DuRand

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
12/22/2017
Thanks for the replies guys.

Elden, Does this drawing look like anything you have? A #12-24 threaded in there, but seemed a little loose.
Ryan:

I've printed out your sketch and will check my stock when I'm out in the shop later this morning. 12-24 seems a little smaller than I've got but I think I do have some very small indicator bulbs.

If I've got one, it's yours.

JSWithers

Registered
I have 6 similar (but not the same) instructional cut away engines from this same company. 2) 2 cycle verticals, 1) 4 cycle vertical, 2) 4 cycle vertical diesels and a horizontal steam engine. I happened to notice 1 or 2 like mine in the Susong building at Coolspring when I was the in 2015. I acquired mine from from the shop classes of a couple of the local high schools. Unfortunately they are not complete and a couple are damaged thanks to careless students over the years. 1 does have the "spark plug" that uses a bulb like you are talking about. I did not take mine apart to check the threads. It does however look more like a spark plug than yours does. I would like to find 2 more spark plugs for mine. I am also missing 4 pushrods and a couple of valves,springs and keepers. Those items wouldn't be terribly hard to make but if there are parts out there I'd be interested. I would post a few pictures of what I have but I have never been very successful at loading pictures on here. Thanks