• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

scrap prices going rate etc

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
hauled a car off yesterday, $0.16 lb for automobiles. made a mistake in my figures, comes out to $.0625 per lb for cars. i wish it was $.16/lb that car would have brought $979.20 @ $.16 Lb!!!!

Last edited:

DustyBar

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/14/2020
I just got the following prices in Kansas City

$0.45 per pound for clean aluminum wheels or around $8 each
$0.01 per pound for wheel weights with steel clips still attached
$0.35 per pound for soft lead
$0.35 per pound for aluminum cans
$0.10 per pound for aluminum radiators with plastic end caps or around $1 each
$0.25 per pound for aluminum ladders

Last edited:

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017
Lead not going for much here, stupid state has banned lead wheel weights! The new ones weigh less and do not hold well to aluminum wheels. My sons chevy has thrown 3 sets already!

If you do not strip the plastic caps off an aluminum radiator, the junk yard hits you pretty bad. Same with aluminum pans with steel and or plastic handles.:mad: One yard i go to won't take aluminum cans!

Troll

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/10/2017
I save my old wheel weights for the neighbor next door whom smelts them and recasts into musket balls. Has a berm he shoots into and I take the skid steer and sift them out repeating the process every two to three years.

Ignorant state of Illinois banned lead wheel weights, and lead fishing weights. Some politician probably decided the lead was harming the fish with complete ignorance to that hook in the mouth, or blade behind the gills thing.

I hear they are trying to ban lead bullets and buckshot too. Probably afraid the victim of gunshot will come down with an acute case of lead poisoning.

Last edited:

DustyBar

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/14/2020
...state has banned lead wheel weights! The new ones weigh less and do not hold well to aluminum wheels. My sons chevy has thrown 3 sets already!...
I wonder if they use the wrong style clips. In our shop we have one style clip for steel and thin aluminum wheels, another style for thick aluminum wheels. Never had reports of loosing weights.

Kevin Weis

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/13/2019
Went to scrap yard with about 500 lbs about two weeks ago. $16. Not saving scrap anymore. Paid for gas and a cup of coffee. Just putting it in my county recycle bin for them to pick up from now on.

DustyBar

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/14/2020
Curbside recycling here doesn't want odd bits of metal. They only want food cans and ones that have been rinsed. They take paper and plastic if it has a number on it identifying its type. No glass accepted. And we pay for the service.

Toesmack

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/08/2019
Got a quote yesterday for prepared steel. $53 per ton. Dismal but slightly higher than 1 year ago. Nothing like about 10 years ago. Scrap pile out behind the shop just keeps growing.

uglyblue66

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
11/07/2018
What gets my goat is the local scrap yard will NOT take food cans.Like Spam or vienna sausage cans or whatever.The signs says they have a poisonous lining in them!:eek: Well Uh,I just ate out of the damn thing are you saying I am fixen to croak?
:crazy:

slip knot

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/27/2019
I made a scrap run a few weeks back. bailing scrap was at $40/ton and prepped steel was at $70/ton. I got a small load of aluminum extrusions and some cast but haven't hauled it in yet.

Dwayne Fuller

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Hauled a little scrap this week. 4 cents a pound for unprepared steel. My load paid 56 dollars. Unfortunately the yard employee running the loader broke the led taillight on my trailer and the replacement was 32 dollars. I would have been better of fishing.

Back when China was buying anything made of copper, brass, etc. I hauled about 90 lbs. of fired cartridge cases to the scrapper (they were NOT salvageable), and got a whopping $119.00!

About three years ago, I hauled a complete South Bend 16" lathe to the scrapper (couldn't even GIVE it away) and was told it was not "clean" cast iron. Definition of "clean"....broken up in little lumps. I got a blistering ten bucks for around 1000 lbs. of iron! Didn't even pay for the gas or time to load.....

I'm always on the lookout for lead wheel weights (casting bullets), but just like many other places Kalifornia has outlawed them. The guy at the scrap place told me .25/lb. to buy, so I gleefully looked in their 55 gallon drum of lead.........all zinc or steel. Useless.

Back when China was buying anything that even LOOKED like metal, I took a five gallon bucket of empty cartridge brass to the scrapper. Got over a hundred dollars....wowee, zowee!

Just three days ago I took 73 pounds of scrap steel/cast iron machine parts in.....

Got thirty seven cents..........................sigh.