• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Scrapping a Thresher

AndyG

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/13/2014
The Case thresher thread made me think about this a little bit. The pics of the separator in that thread don't look like much and there is a decent chance that this machine should go for scrap. If someone were to scrap a threshing machine what parts should be saved to help keep others running?

Alek77

Registered
I would say the pulleys, the solid iron parts like gears, and maybe some of the good chain. Maybe the wheels and frame if it is good.

A

Allen

The handwheels for the windstacker are dandy for steering wheels to free scale engine builders....

Ron Weber

Registered
Last Subscription Date
10/27/2016
I am looking for a set of Case wheels and axles off of a thresher........lol

Colt Edin

Registered
Hey all,

I'd pull (well, more like torch out) the cylinder - as long as there was decent life left in the teeth! If the adjustable sieves were not rotten, I'd pull them, too.

Have a good one,

Colt

Forrest Stewart

Registered
The North Central Kansas Flywheelers in Salina, Kansas put on a show every summer. Of the many activities put on one is threshing wheat with a Keck Gonerman thresher sometimes pulled with a steam engine that belongs to the museum. A couple years ago a hitch pin was accidently forked in and the 2concaves with teeth were broke. I welded one for them but the other is in 50 pieces. I could weld it but the one in 10 pieces took me 6 hours. I don't know for sure if the machine is a 28" but the concave measures 28" overall.. Where should I start looking? :shrug:

Any input would be appreciated.

Back to the Shadows of Biffalo Bill. :wave:

Alan New

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/28/2009
Andy, I save the weigher along with all the other parts everyone else has mentioned. The elevator belt was gone out of my Kitten separator when I got it. I couldn't find one or borrow one to fit. Making all those little buckets was pain!

I'd probably save the wind stacker too. I've seen a lot that were really beat up.

Alan

greysteam24hp

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/31/2013
Bunch of threshing machine in junk yard in Mishawaka, Indiana. Need parts? :shrug:

Forrest Stewart

Registered
If you think they would have any KG concaves 28" long I'd be interested...Give me a phone #, name, or some way/where to check with them. Thank You.

Back to the shadows of Buffalo Bill. :wave: Forrest

Paul Woodworth

Registered
Hi Alek 77 I am going to scrap out a IHC thresher, what pully do you need? I am in IL/ 217-964-2165 Paul Also have a Case thresher to scrap out too. Thay are too for gon to save, and they make good bundles wagons, no flats tires to fix. It takes 4 tubs of greas for the wheels.

Alek77

Registered
Paul, I need the rockwood pulleys for the blower, cleaning fan, blower drive on cylinder, and main drive on cylinder.:)

Paul Woodworth

Registered
If you think they would have any KG concaves 28" long I'd be interested...Give me a phone #, name, or some way/where to check with them. Thank You.

Back to the shadows of Buffalo Bill. :wave: Forrest
Forrest I have a concaves that I don't know what it fits, but it is 27 1/2" long X 5" wide with 52 teeth. ?? Paul W.

curt dewitt

Registered
In reference to the place in Mishawaka Indiana....It is owned by Dick Hine.... only open Sundays and Mondays about 10am till dark or so....Dick and his son Rich can help ya out, dont try to dicker on price, I've never seen it work to the buyers favor, if you go in the summer months, wear long pants and take your bee kit of your allergic to bees...Id venture a guess at over 2 dozen threshers out there, different makes and sizes. as well as tons of old iron, tractors, old trucks, not much for steam tho...I grew up with in a few miles of there....a fair portion of my childhood was spent out there.....even drug some of the ol' stuff home too....my poor mother LOL

A

Allen

...dont try to dicker on price, I've never seen it work to the buyers favor...
Sounds a LOT like Charlie Burgh's place in western Pa. About 15 years ago, a friend of mine needed a part, got a price, went and pulled the part...when he got back to the office I guess the piece was in better shape that old Charlie remembered because he asked for $5 more. My friend said "It's not worth $XX.xx!" .... Charlie simply said "OK" and threw it on the scrap heap.:uhoh:

Speaking of Burgh's, if you want something from there, you might want to go soon. His son has been sending an awful lot of older stuff to the scrappers since old Charlie died.

Oilpullman

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/16/2012
The cylinder shaft and bearings work great for a jack shaft to run a sawmill.
Rob