• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS. GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

Sealing a truck cap

ronny p 148

Registered
I just purchased a used truck cap. it doesn't fit perfect on the year truck i have. Had heck of a job lining it up to make it look good and fit as best as i could. Really hate to take it off it's leaking . Can I use good clear silicone sealer around inside ? Has anyone did this with luck . I want to sleep in it for shows .

Ronny

dalmatiangirl61

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Re: Sealing truck cap

Ronny
My cap is not a perfect fit for my truck either, but close enough nobody notices either. You mentioned that you have a bed liner, is it one of the plastic drop in types with a lip over edge of bed? If so, is that part of the problem? Is water coming in when it rains, or when you spray it with a hose? In the long run I don't think silicone is going to work very well because the caps shift around. Buck-fifty a foot for new seal is not that bad, but I understand, I would not spend that either, at least not this week, maybe next week, or the week after:eek:. If you have a bar/garage/some type of overhead structure to lift with, pulling a cap is much easier. Remove hold down bolts, lay in bed of truck and use legs to lift cap a few inches at front, have buddy slide a pipe/2x4 under cap from one side to other, repeat for rear, attach hoist to the ends of pipe/2x4 and lift, you'd probably have to get creative to get a new seal on cap at this point, or just lay some thick-wide weather stripping on bed rails and set cap back down.

Adding some close up pics might help others with suggestions too.

---------- Post added at 08:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 PM ----------

thats barn/garage, not a bar

ronny p 148

Registered

Thanks Dal I reposted here and seems to be the opinion that silicone won't work . No can't lift but I really hate to take it off but I'm leaning that way. Just was a bugger to get it to line up and get window on rear to line up.it leaks like heck.

Ronny

---------- Post added at 11:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 PM ----------

Oh ya bed liner not problem i cut front off where it lapped over front bed rail.

Ronny

uglyblue66

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
11/07/2018

I have a similar situation on my dodge.It has a really nice Leer Crown shell on it but it is not for that year truck.It is on there tight.But it still seeps around the very front corners as the bed is not under it well enough for the seal to work.And no I would not squirt that gooey silicon around the inside,it would just trap the water under the cap and rust the bed.

cobbadog

Registered
I would not use the silicon either, it sets firm and if there is any flexing going on then the seal breaks and you have leaks again. There are so many different types of sealants that will work from a product here in Australia called Sikaflex which has a number of different versions to choose from but there is 2 that will bond and seal but still allow flex. Older style product is again a local product by Selleys called Mastic or Butylmastic. This is simialr to the old type of caulking compound or putty but in a tube and is messy when you applay and spread it but clean up as you go with mineral turps and all is good.
Best way to attain success will be to remove it and start fresh with clean sufrfaces. Sometimes it is worth that extra effort to not have to re-visit the problem again.

Ron Beddome

Registered
Even if you get it sealed I doubt that you will be happy with the whole set up. Depending on how cold it is where you are going to camp you will get condensation dripping off the interior. You have privacy issues with all the windows may be this wont be an issue for you . Lastly you will be on you knees all the time inside. You will be rubbing your sleeping bag around in the remenents of what ever you hauled last so a old carpet is a must . I think you would be far happier if you could find a old slide in camper for sale some where for around $500 might be even cheaper if the appliances dont work. You can stand up -- your bed is out of the way should you buy some thing big and greasy/dirt and want to haul it home . Just make sure it will fit through the door ---- at the back or the passenger door on the truck - other wise you have to make two trips home . Have fun!