• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Searching for the "Zerks" few know about

Oldtech

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/14/2019
Interesting thread. Our 1928 20 run Massey Drill had 40 push type straight ones. Dad would put oil in a grease gun and oil it. I believe there was a push type nozzle for the gun, but i think... not sure... that the modern one will also work.

JungleKing007

Registered
On the other end JK007, what kind of grease gun end serves the "Push Type" Zerks? I have some 67-1/2 degree and straight Zerks on a KT Twin City tractor that I wish to keep and service. Any different gun end from the Hydraulic type?
Thank you for this thread. Minutia interesting!
Actually, The current "Hydraulic" coupler can still service the push type. The tip sealing edge is identical. you simply have to push down and hold the coupler in place when greasing, similar to how the original coupler worked.

(images attached) this is the coupler off two of the guns I have, and also of the guns from mid/late 20's to early 30's time period. Dirty now, haven't had a chance to clean them up.

As the name of the system implies, you push down on the fitting. The guns were set up where it was held down on the fitting tip, and the handle was pushed down driving the lube in.

the Hydraulic coupler was introduced in the early 30's and basically obsoleted the push type overnight. no need to push down because the jaws did it for you and could develop higher pressure(when needed).

Attachments

Duey C

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/08/2019
Yes! That's wonderful and thank you much!
The pic of the guns is gold to me. :) I wonder where I stashed mine...

Heins

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
That size isn't hard to find, I found them on the rear end of a model "A" Ford.

JungleKing007

Registered
That size isn't hard to find, I found them on the rear end of a model "A" Ford.
Sounds about right, Looking at old ads from the Saturday Evening Post from that time period. These would have been(or about to be) standard equipment from the factory when the the Model A was introduced. Trying to obtain some of those ads too as examples.

JungleKing007

Registered
Found the fitting MotherLode! Search is over at least for now.

Long story short, I struck up a conversation with the gentleman on Ebay I bought some Pin type fittings from. turns out he wanted to offload the huge fitting assortment he was trying to sell off slowly. Think they may have come out of an old display case judging by the quantities and items from the lot. For what I believe is a steal, I got a mostly pin type fittings and coupler repair kits, some DOT, and original Buttonheads. Also in the pile were the Push Types "Zerks" I was looking for! I ran them through my ultrasonic cleaner to clean them up a bit. These are perfect for what I'm working on! I now have examples from the time period of 5 of the 6 fittings Alemite created. Thanks everyone for the help guess I needed to write it down to work it through!

I am waiting for a couple more grease guns to come in the mail to finish off a few spots in my display, and some advertisements I thought were pretty interesting. If anyone is interested in more photo examples of fittings, couplers, the guns themselves, etc. I'll gladly share. I think it is important to document when able.

Attachments