• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Sears,Roebuck & Co Machinists Tools - Shop Equipment 1911

Peter Holmander

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/23/2019
Cool old catalog! Imagine being able to buy at those prices today. OSHA would have a field day with no safety guarding on those band saws today. Interesting portable table saw that was foot powered. Thanks for sharing.

Monsonmotors

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/22/2020
There are some sad things here, too. That step pulley with the shaft and hangers under the lathe routinely goes for more money than the lathe does. It’s much more rare. They were often thrown away or modified when electric motors for each machine came around.

Attachments

Monsonmotors

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/22/2020
And the atrocities that Sears imposed on its suppliers! Sears didn’t make a thing. Suddenly, Sears was your boss, like it or not. They decided price and ultimately, appearance. Crazy. They were the Evil Empire.

Kevin O. Pulver

Email NOT Working
Last Subscription Date
02/14/2020
My Internet won't let me look at it right now but I do have a Barnes number 4 and 1/2 pedal-powered lathe.
It did have the seat and pedal crank set up that are usually missing, but it was missing the 3-step flat belt heavy drive flywheel.
I finally found one of those after 15 years but it was missing the small flat detachable type chain drive sprocket on it. I finally found it last year.
I originally bought the thing at an auction about 20 years ago, and when I went back looking for parts I found my 12 horse Hercules Champion log splitter engine back in the trees.
That's a whole nother crazy story about getting it bought, and building a cylinder head and a mixer, collecting governor and ignition and timing parts and getting it running.

Rob Charles

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
04/05/2017
Pics of the Sears toolbox. It was in bad shape when my dad got it at an auction 25 plus/minus years ago. Almost too far gone to fix.The board and piece of moulding under the bottom drawer were missing. Had paint drips all over it. I made the missing pieces and refinished it. I think the wood is Chestnut. Probably took me 15 hours to restore it.IMG_20200220_090009447.jpgIMG_20200220_090029841.jpgI use it to house some of my Lunk collection Rob

Kevin O. Pulver

Email NOT Working
Last Subscription Date
02/14/2020
That's a pretty neat toolbox Rob! And I think it's even neater to find out some history on it.
In my hometown of Kenesaw Nebraska there is a house that they said was sold by Sears. I read a news article that said 100 years ago, the Sears Catalog was the Amazon dot-com of the day . For Better or Worse- they sold virtually everything, to everybody, all the time.

It's very hard to imagine that a company in that position could ever end up in bankruptcy. Their stock initial public offering was in 1906 but in 2018 they were delisted from the stock exchange!
This is a different article that Tells A little of what happened to them

https://www.investopedia.com/news/downfall-of-sears/

Last edited:

Monsonmotors

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/22/2020
Sawmill, I’m stealing your pic for my blacksmith thread.
Can you give me a closeup if the lineshaft and fittings, above? That assembly is about solid gold right now. They all disappeared when these things got motorized.