• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

Seeking advice for potential next engine

Reddog15

Registered
I currently have a 1918 FM headless and would like to eventually add to my collection. Would like advice on makes and models that have decent parts availability.

Tony Glaser

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/23/2019
I currently have a 1918 FM headless and would like to eventually add to my collection. Would like advice on makes and models that have decent parts availability.
Are you looking to add another Fairbanks or are you thinking a different brand? Ihc model m engines run very good and parts are very accessible and reasonably priced. I especially like the early ignitor fired ones. Otherwise a Hercules/Economy engine would be a good engine to add. Let us know what you end up with.

Reddog15

Registered
Are you looking to add another Fairbanks or are you thinking a different brand? Ihc model m engines run very good and parts are very accessible and reasonably priced. I especially like the early ignitor fired ones. Otherwise a Hercules/Economy engine would be a good engine to add. Let us know what you end up with.
Not particular to just Fairbanks so the field is open! Thanks for the suggestions.

casertractor

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/24/2018
The upright (Vertical) tank cooled IH Famous are a good engine and their seems to be alot of parts available for those engines

Last edited:

Rich Mueller Sr

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Look at the Associated and United line of engines ,basically the same parts except for blocks etc, when dialed in right, really good runners and workhorse to pull stuff someday to. Those got old and moved on to Challenge, Lausons, and Delaval ,Lauson made again, Gades . Lausons are hard to find ,and parts harder yet, but one of the smooth runners when right, especially when igniter is right and real easy to bump start later ones ,with the mag that runs twice the speed of crankshaft. Neat at shows when people watch me bump the 5hp Lauson-Delaval on mag ,all original to except for Jim White Wheels on original frame..You tube and shows are the best to see what trips your trigger or "fix", and see how they run ,and start, hope you have a big shed for the addiction...

Mike McKnight

Registered
The vertical Famous engines are a real nice engine, but can say from experience their parts might be a little bit higher than what a beginner would expect. (I’ve been gathering parts for both a 2 HP and a 3 HP for a couple of years now.) If you are looking for another fairly inexpensive engine for a second “starter” engine, I’d either second the M IHC or suggest a Hercules/Economy, or maybe a CT Stover. Just depends on how much you care to spend!

Not saying anything bad about a Famous at all, I absolutely love those Famous engines of mine more than the other gas engines I’ve collected before-but they ain’t the cheapest to come by, or the cheapest to buy parts for. That’s why most of them I’ve had to buy a part or two at a time.....
Mike

steam and oil

Registered
I'm holding at 2 big engines for now. An IHC "M" 1.5 hp and a Hercules 1.5 hp running a pump jack. I would recommend the IHC-M to anybody for fun and a great sound. The Herc is a great runner too. Any 1.5 hp will be a lot of fun.

Don't overlook a nice vintage Briggs & Stratton for some compact lightweight fun too!

Tony Glaser

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/23/2019
I'm holding at 2 big engines for now. An IHC "M" 1.5 hp and a Hercules 1.5 hp running a pump jack. I would recommend the IHC-M to anybody for fun and a great sound. The Herc is a great runner too. Any 1.5 hp will be a lot of fun.

Don't overlook a nice vintage Briggs & Stratton for some compact lightweight fun too!
I’ll ad Maytag engines to go along with a nice overhead valve Briggs and Stratton for some reason I have a thing for the less common Maytags.