Selling on Ebay

John Davis

Subscriber
I have not sold items on ebay in a very long time. This week end I decided I would give it a try. First I went to my account & seller account and made sure my credit card info was correct & up to date. Then I proceeded to list a item in my Ebay. I never was really sure where to start. I was looking for list a item but never did find it. After wondering through two or three different seller headings I finally stumbled on to some page that said start here. Not sure how I got there and if I can get back to it again. After entering most of my information I wanted to post or link a couple photos from my web space never did find a place that would let me do it so I uploaded a couple photos on Ebays space. got one for free and the other cost me .015 cents. Then I wanted to list instructions for shipping but never could find the screen. I wanted to except money orders and personal checks only for payment. No paypal. It would not let me complete the listing unless I selected paypal. So I never finished the listing. I was not very happy. Is this a new rule that Ebay has now or am I missing something here? Do you have to use paypal? I have been around computers, BBs's, Internet, etc.. sense about 1972 also created a few websites but I can't half figure out how to sell something on ebay. If I'm having a hard time figuring it out then I fill sorry for the average computer person. :rant:

JKWidener

Hello John, i have sold hundreds of items on ebay in the past, You have the option whether you want to accept paypal or not. I dont know why it didnt let you this time. Try clearing all history, cookies, and cache or anything else like that. Here is a link to the sellers area of ebay... Hope this helps... http://sell.ebay.com/sell Click the box for customize your listing and then click "start selling" and sign in.. the rest is self explanitory...

Last edited:

Handlebar99

Subscriber
Don't take it personally! Ebay is not user friendly for the first time, or occasional user. They definitely make it difficult to bypass using Paypal.

casesteam12

John, I had the same problem a few months back and I was steamed too:rant:. I'm thinking that I used my own choices on listing an item on which category to put it in rather than being prompted by Ebay's selling preference. I too was sent through the paypal crap. If you use the old format (which I think you still can) it is much more user friendly. I had to cancel one listing and resubmit because it listed paypal as a payment method. The item didn't have any bids on it either! I even asked for online help and was told by them to cancel and start over:rant: with no refund! I've just about had my fill with Ebay.:mad:.......Brad

Andrew Walker

Subscriber
Yes, the first time listing is time consuming, that's for sure. Then when you get used to it, they change the format again :mad:. About the PayPal thing, just consider yourself lucky that you're not overseas as I believe they are already telling sellers in Australia and now the UK that they have to offer PayPal as a payment ! I think they are moving towards PayPal ONLY for all payments, in their minds. Ebay is losing many supporters these days as they chase the alimighty dollar. They started Kijiji as a way to take business away from Craigslist in the classifieds market and I understand they managed to become a minority shareholder in Craigslist too recently, I suppose to become THE only player in the global selling market. Now where was I :rolleyes: ? Oh yeah, have fun selling on eBay; it's not that bad after you do a few trial & error listings :crazy:.

-Andrew.....

John Davis

Subscriber
Thanks for the info everyone but still no luck.

John, the link you posted is where I ended up the first time I tried to post. I did what you suggested cleared everything went back and tried it again still no luck. You have to check paypal or it will not let you continue. I did a search on this site and found a few post that said if you are a new seller that you could be required to use Paypal. I'm not a new seller but it has been a few years sense I last posted anything for sell. This really stinks. I guess Ebay is so big that they don't care about the little guy any more.

S

Sky

I've noticed that thing about having to select the paypal method aswell. Seems like something new ebay came up with becouse i never had that problem previously. What i do is simply select it unwillingly to be able to post what ever it is i have for sale...and then in the print below your item description were you can specify about your item, i just simply highlight in bold red DONOT USE THE PAYPAL CHECKOUT. and then make it clear you only accept postal money orders or how ever you wish to have your payment. Thats how I do it now.

John Davis

Subscriber
John,

The first time I did the (keep it simple) selection this time I did check the (customize your listing) and still no luck.

Sky, Thanks for the info I might have to try that.

Last edited:

Harry

Administrator
Staff member
You can customize this section with (Add or Remove Options)

While you are in the listing screen, simply DO NOT CHECK the PayPal selection...

Attachments

John Davis

Subscriber
Harry,

I did just as your example shows but when I click on continue to preview my listing it will not let me go. It comes up in red

Payment methods in this listing must include Paypal or credit card.

I think if you have been selling items already you will not have this problem. It appears to be only with new sellers. I went back and read about paypal under the accepted payments policy and here is what I found.

Accepted Payments Policy

eBay wants to help ensure that the marketplace offers buyers safer online payment choices. As described in our safe buying guide, eBay encourages sellers to offer payments through PayPal. PayPal is convenient to use and has privacy built in.
Some offline payment methods, such as personal checks, may not offer the same level of protection or convenience as online payments.

Effective March 2008, sellers may be required to offer PayPal or a merchant credit card as one of the payment methods for a specific listing.

The key word above is (MAY) I think in Ebays dictionary (may) means the same as (will).

Thanks for trying to help everyone but I think I'm at a dead end. Unless someone has a trick up their sleeve? ;)

John Davis

Subscriber
I did like Sky said and listed my item on the Ebay auction with I DO NOT EXCEPT PAYPAL in big red letters. Then I went to the listing and tried to revise it after words & here is what I got when clicked the check mark off on Paypal & then clicked revise. It would not revise it. Read below.

Decide how you'd like to be paid Add or remove options | Get help

eBay and PayPal are making buying on eBay safer. All sellers are now required to offer PayPal or a merchant credit card as a payment method in their listings.

Learn more about the eBay Accepted Payments Policy.
Some payments may be held in your account to ensure smooth transactions. PayPal will release the hold after 21 days without a buyer dispute, claim, chargeback or other action. The hold may be released earlier if either of the following occurs:

Buyer leaves positive Feedback.
3 days after PayPal confirms item delivery.

Learn more about PayPal's Holds Policy.

PayPal
( fee varies )
Accept credit card and bank payments online.

Email address for receiving payment

If this item sells by a Best Offer, you will not be able to require immediate payment

Additional payment methods
Money order / Cashier's check

Personal check

S

Sky

hmmmm......seems like ebay is changing a bit. I never had trouble with revisory :shrug:

John Davis

Subscriber
PAYPAL UPDATE I just went on Ebay today to check on my Item I listed and guess what... Paypal has been removed from my listing. Go figure that one out....Maybe someone from Ebay seen my big red letters stating that I DO NOT EXCEPT PAYPAL. posted twice in my description & removed paypal.

mikel

What doubly sucks is that eBay OWNS PayPal, so in addition to eBay charging you to place an ad and then taking their cut off the backend, PayPal takes it's chunk too.

What triply sucks is that PayPal takes it's % of the complete amount, including the shipping part of the $.

So if you sell an item for $200 and shipping is $40, PayPal takes it's % off of $240, not $200 :rant:

But, it's mine/your choice to continue to use eBay. For better or worse, they're still the biggest player around. I use Craigslist too. Works great for more local buyers and more common items. eBay works better for more specialty items.

Grape

Subscriber
I sold on ebay a few years ago and then like you I recently tried it again. I got it all figured out by trial and error but I have to use pay pal also. Someplace I came to a screen that explained that you had to have a certain number of sales completed useing pay pal before you could accept other forms of payment. I don't remember the number and I can't find that screen again. It was someplace in the help files.
They said it had something to do with protecting both the buyer and seller. I think that is just lawyer talk meaning get used to it because soon its all you will have.......
Maybe someone else can verify this. Good luck.

Harold Price

I have been selling on ebay on and off for some time I had the same thing with paypal. I decided to just do it and see how it went. I opened a debit card account at the bank for the paypal account at no cost. I sold some items and before I could put them in a box the money was in my account. I did not need to look in the mailbox for the check and weight to see if it was good before I shipped. The item was mailed and done. I shipped one item to the UK and in five minutes I was paid and never left my chair.just look at all the corn I saved by not takeing my truck to the bank.

bbhf

i just set up an auction today for my saw: i went to the customize button and filled in all "required fields": i had no trouble with any part of the form: if you do not accept paypal you must click the money order box: then also state in your description box what you want: i went in and revised my listing 3 times with no hassle: what did get me was the % of the final price i have to hand over at the end: hope some of this helps: skip

bocephus_k6

Well an add on to the Epay garbage, now if your NOT from the US and list an item on Epay.com, you can only accept payment through PAY RIPOFF..I guess that will be the end of my selling as well as buying on there, I closed my account..they seem a tad too demanding for the amount of money they rip you off for anymore. :mad: :rant:

Just my 2 cents..

Brian

Jim Cobb

I have not sold items on ebay in a very long time. This week end I decided I would give it a try. First I went to my account & seller account and made sure my credit card info was correct & up to date. Then I proceeded to list a item in my Ebay. I never was really sure where to start. I was looking for list a item but never did find it. After wondering through two or three different seller headings I finally stumbled on to some page that said start here. Not sure how I got there and if I can get back to it again. After entering most of my information I wanted to post or link a couple photos from my web space never did find a place that would let me do it so I uploaded a couple photos on Ebays space. got one for free and the other cost me .015 cents. Then I wanted to list instructions for shipping but never could find the screen. I wanted to except money orders and personal checks only for payment. No paypal. It would not let me complete the listing unless I selected paypal. So I never finished the listing. I was not very happy. Is this a new rule that Ebay has now or am I missing something here? Do you have to use paypal? I have been around computers, BBs's, Internet, etc.. sense about 1972 also created a few websites but I can't half figure out how to sell something on ebay. If I'm having a hard time figuring it out then I fill sorry for the average computer person. :rant:
add pay pal users pay 2% extra