• The old site search from Google needs to be updated. Use the Search at the Upper Right, or use What's New in the center - it has a drop down arrow. You will need to change your Favorits by right click mouse and clicking favorites. Many of the posts in How to Use This Web Site are old so the links may or may not work. I have one hell of a lot of work to do!

Selling on Ebay

oldtractors

Subscriber
Seems to be a new rule. Checks and money orders will no longer be accepted. The only form of payment you can accept on ebay now will be paypal (and you pay an additional 2 or 3% for the privilege. I would feel better about this new rule if they reduced the final payment fees by the same amount of the extra paypal charges. Afterall, they say it is for the security of the buyers and sellers - not a way for them to make more money:O

http://pages.ebay.com/sell/August2008Update/Overview/

ncseverson

Recent email from ebay:

"Checks and money orders no longer allowed: Beginning in late October, we will no long allow checks or money orders as payment methods on eBay. Only approved electronic methods will be allowed."

It will soon be only paypal and bidpay.

Harry

Administrator
Staff member
You can thank the scammers, the lack of law enforcement and consumer gullibility for this.

A

Allen

You can thank the scammers, the lack of law enforcement and consumer gullibility for this.
Sorry, even THOSE THINGS are evilBay's own fault.... They STILL maintain they bear NO RESPONSIBILITY for ANYTHING, and that they are "ONLY THE FACILITATOR" of the transaction... if they had bothered to work WITH people who had problems when they were small, then it never would have become such an epidemic.

I've pretty much quit selling there. The costs are too high, the prices keep going lower (sorry that ISN'T "good", if you lose money on items, then you can't continue to offer more--unless you're desperate or stupid), Paypal is a pain in the a$$ for sellers, and you get no support from EITHER entity if you have a problem buyer.

Tom Kilgore

Heres one on buying on ebay, my wife bid on two items with two different ending dates and won both, the seller only shippped one, I contacted her and she said that she had been off due to a family probelm and that she would fix in a couple of days a week or more went still no second item, then she would not answer her emails, I contacted after a email from them telling me to not purchase any thing from this seller. i filed with ebay a complaint and asked for a refund on the item which i did not get, she gave ebay a confirmation on the first item she had shipped and ebay told me that I had got the
item. I never was able to get ebay to give me a confirmation number on the second item.:rant: My only satisfaction is the seller is no longer able to sell on ebay:wave:

Motormowers

Subscriber
My biggest gripe is bidders not ready the entire auction and understanding it. I have a 1930 mower on there right now and have listed that the bidder will have to ship it by truck as its too big for UPS. People still ask how much is shipping. I have no idea, call a carrier that comes to CT and get a quote! Best I can do is get it to their terminal for you to save you a few $$. I also hate the emails asking if I will ship just the engine. I thought this hobby was all about preserving not destroying ? :bonk:

bbhf

We must remember that if all transactions go through paypal then there is a written record of the dollar amount that has changed hands: then you would be accountable for TAX!!!!! and we all know who is watching: i am glad i got most of my stuff off ebay when it was still decent to to so: skip

bbhf

Gene: it was an Ottawa 5hp drag saw: i had a buy it now and it went right away: the new owner is very happy and i picked up a nice Arco: skip

Jeff Smith

Subscriber
I also feel that eBay is now more trouble then it is worth and if someone would step up to the plate with a new online auction that they would probably go far with it. Lately, I have just been watching the “wanted” adds here on Harry’s and when I see someone looking for something I just email them and send them photos of items I am trying to get out of the garage because I am tired of tripping over the item. I am tired of not being able to work on a project because there is no room to work so I have gotten rid of a few items. It is a hobby for me so I have made some new friends with the items I have sold from the “wanted” section. My only problem is that I forget to leave feedback for them, although they would all be 100% positive because things went smoothly. If I am really tired of tripping over it I just list it in the for sale section and state my price and all has been well so far. Sometimes the extra money that would be earned by placing the item on eBay is not worth it to me when I can list it here faster than I can take pictures of the item and place them on my computer. Thank you Harry for the site and keeping it so simple!

Jeff Smith

Craig A

Staff member
A granddaughter wants me to sell a fancy schmancy electric car for her.
I haven't bought or sold on Epay since April of '06 even though I've been a member since February of '99 and log in every now and then to see completed auction results.
Soooooo I was just checking over my account to update some things, read some messages and ran across this tidbit:

Ebay said:
Starting in late October, sellers will need to offer credit card payments through an internet merchant account, PayPal, or ProPay, all of which will be integrated into checkout in early 2009 (read our paperless payments page for more information). Staff from eBay, PayPal, and ProPay, a 3rd party payment provider, will be on hand to tell you more about the changes and answer your questions.
I HAVE a PayPal account.......but being FORCED to use it OR accept credit cards now has me wondering if I should even bother with Ebay.

Oh.......I wouldn't put it passed the Feds for "convincing" Ebay to require this paper trail....... :O

I just did a test sale and SO FAR I can still receive payment directly........SO far....... :rolleyes:

and OH.......OH! It SEEMS by using html tags I can display as many images as I want from my ftp server :D

A

Allen

All, the guy who STARTED eBay saw a need and a chance to make some money filling that need. The people who BOUGHT it from him saw a CASH COW and nothing else. Therein lies the difference, and why all the changes seem to mostly be simply to increase THEIR profits.

Alan R

Am I correct in that using Paypal we also get charged when we take the money out? I pay the 25 dollar shipping out of my pocket then have to pay to get my 25 back. I could be all wet since I have not tried to get any money out. Is there a better method of getting the money back?

Craig A

Staff member
PayPal has never cost me a penny but I have used it only once for accepting a payment and that was a while ago but it WAS for a payment in the hundred$ to a business in Australia so it worked out really well.