• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Shaper Machine!?

1917Peerless

Registered
Anyone know of any good ole shapers available in the upstate NY/New England area? Not a table top... but not a 3 ton railroad size one either? I have been putting together a small line shaft powered machine shop and have a cozy spot just waiting for one.... Thanks! email me at: mlmarmet@aol.com

Carl in NH

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/30/2009
Perchance have you posted your desire to obtain such a shaper in the Antiques section of the Practical Machinist forum? Many denizens of PM are shaper fans and followers, and often times a shaper in need of a good home can be located.

Looking for one that’s line-shaft powered will limit your choices a little, but there were many nice ones made before the 30’s that were line-shaft powered. Given how their weight skyrockets as a function of stroke, I suspect you’re looking for something in the 12-16” range.

I’ve got a little 7” AAMCO that I’m considering parting with – but it’s neither line-shaft powered, nor large enough for your requirements as it’s a table top type.

Best of luck in your quest.

-Carl