• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Shows and Potential Shutdowns

Craig A

Staff member
Last Subscription Date
12/20/2015
Moderating a forum is going to prompt a person to catch he-- regardless of which way they do something. George, here in the US, we as the people have witnessed enough from our government to question alot of what comes from them now days.
Indeed it has....... :uhoh: ......I'll take the heat.
First of all antibiotics are useless against viruses.......and that's a fact.
Name calling is uncalled for and not in the spirit of ANY forum on this site.......and that's a fact.
This is a worrisome time for all of us regardless of where we live and THAT is a fact.
Don't believe politicians.......believe those who actually KNOW what's going on.
You wouldn't want a senator performing surgery on you would you?
There are reputable sites to get truthful information.......use them.
I'm not any more happy with the current situation either but I'm a pragmatic guy.
I can't do anything about the big picture so I'll do what we are being asked to do.
Please don't hoard and be nice to people....... :)

Mike McKnight

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/20/2020
I hate as much as anyone to think that the show season more than likely is going to be cancelled this year, but to put it all into perspective for me I have an elderly 77 year old father and a 13 year old son who has a real weak immune system and keeping them healthy and alive is more important than going to 10,000 shows this year and the next several years.

Guys, the world has suffered thru World Wars, Depressions, Recessions, plagues and pestilences over just the last 100 yrs. Surely it's not too much to ask to just take some minor inconveniences to keep our asses at home for awhile. Me, if everyone around me (and myself) stay healthy I am planning to work on some long overdue projects to pass the time, and am glad that I still have a job and all my loved ones as of yet are unaffected other than being inconvenienced. Let's be thankful for what we have, and make the best of the time we have on earth, and be kind to one another! We're all brothers and sisters in arms in the old iron hobby!

Mike

Oilpulled

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/20/2015
I hate as much as anyone to think that the show season more than likely is going to be cancelled this year, but to put it all into perspective for me I have an elderly 77 year old father and a 13 year old son who has a real weak immune system and keeping them healthy and alive is more important than going to 10,000 shows this year and the next several years.

Guys, the world has suffered thru World Wars, Depressions, Recessions, plagues and pestilences over just the last 100 yrs. Surely it's not too much to ask to just take some minor inconveniences to keep our asses at home for awhile. Me, if everyone around me (and myself) stay healthy I am planning to work on some long overdue projects to pass the time, and am glad that I still have a job and all my loved ones as of yet are unaffected other than being inconvenienced. Let's be thankful for what we have, and make the best of the time we have on earth, and be kind to one another! We're all brothers and sisters in arms in the old iron hobby!

Mike
Here's Some conversation and a story of how this doctor got to where he is.

No code has to be inserted here.

Nice appropriate letter, Allen, and thanks.
I'm doing well and have a corned beef slow cooking on the old gas stove and will soon add cabbage and other vegetables.
The 30 year old car wore out it's rear universal joint and I have more difficulty getting under it than a few years back. My helper got under and removed the drive shaft and we installed the new "U" joints in time to go vote so it's ready for another 200,000 miles.

I called my son, Dr Jefferson Schott, this AM and here's a story which starts years back when I was buying tools and scientific equipment from The Defense and The General Service Surplus Sales organizations. Well I bid and won a good medical microscope from Hines Veterans' Hospital in Chicago. I picked it up during a business trip to the Design Show. I bought scalpels and a bottle of optical immersion oil (For the 1200X Lens) and set it up for the kids. We looked at paramecium and euglena and other life from pond water, bacteria using high power with the optical oil and even gander sperms for fertility. Well maybe that's why he's a medical doctor now. He put himself through under grad in chemistry with great honors and won an Air Force Scholarship to U of Chicago Medical School and served a 7 year obligation in The Air Force coming out a major to be promoted to colonel if he had re-uped.
In our long discussion the doctor and I discussed this new virus 19. His clinic runs the tests for that virus. The testing equipment uses a chromatography type machine which works with pairs from the DNA chains and detects the problem. The information for the test machine can be sent by any communication just specifying the location on the DNA chain to select to observe. His clinic was doing 100 per day and now has a machine to do 400 and will soon get another to do 400 more per day.
I think that this is real interesting and I remember when that double helix was discovered by a woman but the credit was given to a man.

George Hoffman

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
04/28/2018
Well I have very little news about shows here. Everything is shut down to try to contain this pandemic. I am not posting anymore virus case figures as some people don't believe them anyway .
So here ,as David suggested,are some photos I took this afternoon.
Photo 1 is 3 steamers looking forward to a summer off. The Gaar Scott is having the first summer off in 39 years. I think the Rumely will spend the summer on the low boy. Cheers.
IMG_3318.JPGIMG_3320.JPG

Odin

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019
2020 Show Season is cancelled. I'll still go if I can, but between the quarantines and the economic devastation that is going to result I might have far more concerning issues than going to shows.

That or the 2020 show is going to be the final show- in which those of us versed in the ways of steam actually put our beloved old engines back to work in the post-virus world, because steam can still run using any available fuel and tallow for lube while internal combustion engines will very quickly run out of fuel and be useless.

It certainly will be a different feel to know that I have to raise steam every morning before the rest of the gang wakes up so that we can plow the far field or we're going to starve come wintertime.

Now, back to an actively debated subject...........................................Case versus everyone else.............:hitfan: I think the "Case folks" created this virus to hijack NTA's Reeves feature!:boxing:
I've only seen Case be better at exactly 2 things: Being big, and Blowing smoke. The Case 150 is a special creature, and I am unaware of any other manufacturer that made an engine so large. Even the Case 110s don't seem to be common, even though Case 50s are well represented at the local happenings.

Its probably just the way the crews run them that makes them smoke so much, after all the people that run them today mostly do so the way they learned from someone long ago and don't really want to do it any different. But I can always find the Case engines at the show by looking for the black streaks they've left behind. The same is also possible for a certain Baker engine I see often. Meanwhile, I somehow manage to hide an entire engine in the crowd by running with a clear stack. And a very loud whistle that makes people jump when they get snuck up on.

Beth V

Last Subscription Date
03/03/2018
I expect small gatherings will take place.. Should NTA be cancelled, I will truly miss many of our older folks who are not on social media. Hopefully, this pandemic can be controlled, but until then it will be hurry up and wait and see.

Odin,

Many of us would love to see the 40 Reeves displayed with the 150 Case. We've had running debates over which is better with the truth being whichever is yours.

Be safe everyone.

Last edited:

Joyland 65

Registered
Well to get things back on track....
I have already been notified of three different local shows being cancelled between now and June. At this point we've already written off our annual trip to Washington and Oregon as well as all the shows in BC.
I guess all we can do now is look forward to auctions and estate sales in the fall (if life is back to normal by then) and all the added the added stuff for the collection that will come from them. With how the North American economy and stock markets are currently reacting prices should be pretty good by then!
Fortunately.... most of this old equipment we get to enjoy and steward is free and clear of any debt, and not subject to "fire sale"...and many of us, if you have any kind of common sense, have put away a little for such a time as this. I'm out delivering meals and giving blood and doing what I can to be a faith spreader, love giver, and a hope dealer. Fear has no place where there is faith. Hold close to the things that are important. This too, shall pass.

George Hoffman

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
04/28/2018
I know this thread is about show cancellations, However in this troubling time I thought we all could use a good story.

I was pleased to read on the news that due to the Corona Virus, Virunga National Park is now closed to tourists. The park is in the north east of Rwanda in east Africa. It is the home of the largest group of Mountain Gorillas to have survived.
In 1985 we had a contract to build a country wide Microwave system to help modernize Rawanda , one of the poorest countries in the world. So we lived in the capital Kigali and worked throughout Rawanda crossing into Burundi and Kenya. We avoided Uganda as it was in total anarchy.
The mountain Gorillas were becoming extinct in the 1950's. You may recall Jane Goodall spent her life to save the few remaining Gorillas and educate the world about their intelligence and close relation to man. The families today number about 600 . They have very poor immune systems and a bad cold will kill a gorilla. So it was prudent of the Rawandan government to try to keep these primates from catching this Covid 19. virus. Some of their habitat is on the Ugandan side of the mountains so I would hope they will follow. For years they have been the target of poachers. A baby sold into a black market would fetch $10,000 in the 80's. In a country where the monthly salary ,if you had a job was $25 per month there is a big incentive for poachers. It is a formidable task to patrol for poachers. The gorillas live over a wide area on the mountains at between 8 and 13 thousand feet in elevation. Tour groups from around the world come to see and experience a close encounter with the Gorillas . The guides take 10 people a day 5 days a week on a 2 hour climb to interact with the Gorillas.
We had many great experiences there. One morning Terry and I went for breakfast to a nice hotel about 5 minutes from home and about 5 minutes from the airport. The tour groups all stayed here where they were taken by bus the 75 miles to a lodge at Virunga National Park. When we walked into the dining room it was full of white people who were obviously tourists. Dont forget we are in blackest Africa and " Muzungu" are a rather rare sight. We sat near an old couple who were rather surprised that we lived in Kigali. As the conversation went on I discovered they were from Canada and lived about 15 miles from my home. What a surprise that was being so far from home. The route we used to fly to Rawanda, was Vancouver BC the London England then to Paris then Air France to Kartoum Sedan then Nirobi Kenya then Bugumbura Burundy then to Kigali Rwanda. This takes a full 2 days.`
When the job was over I flew to India where I stent 2 days Then to Bankok Where my wife met me. Her and I then flew to Hong Kong then to Guilin China then to Tokyo Then back to Vancouver.

CNR6400

Registered
There is a big 32 hp cross-compound American-Abell engine being put together right now -- high pressure boiler, 9 and 13 by 14 motor.
It will be nice to see some comparisons of these big engines.
They might have to break a few more of Mr. Christiansen's drive belts!:boxing::faint:
Mr G - is there any pics or a build log anywhere for the 32 hp A-A you mentioned? Would love to see those if they are available. (and any video when the time comes of Mr Christiansen's belts being broken! :music )

BobSaunders

Registered
The closest thing to me is the Michigan Flywheeler's early June swap meet. South Haven. I assume the April Allegan antique show at the fair grounds will be too. Thousands from all over for that show, inside and out side.

AndyG

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/13/2014
Well I have very little news about shows here. Everything is shut down to try to contain this pandemic. I am not posting anymore virus case figures as some people don't believe them anyway .
So here ,as David suggested,are some photos I took this afternoon.
Photo 1 is 3 steamers looking forward to a summer off. The Gaar Scott is having the first summer off in 39 years. I think the Rumely will spend the summer on the low boy. Cheers.
View attachment 385656View attachment 385658
Like your Rumely, my Huber is on the trailer ready to go......Just in case. I hope that by "playing along" with the restrictions that we can get this business behind us ASAP.

forney00c

Registered
It seems like things are changing so much even on a day to day basis, who knows what things will be like in a few months. My local show is pretty small and usually held on the 2nd weekend of June, but on a phone call with the club president, we decided that at this time, our best choice was to postpone the show. We figured that if things begin to improve by later spring or early summer, we may still have a chance to have a show into September or even October before it starts to really cool off again. If things don't improve, we can always call it off completely but if there's a chance of being close to normal before it gets cold, why not wait it out?

If we don't have any sort of show this year, it won't stop me from firing things up at home and posting them up for others to enjoy.

Nichols

Registered
Badger Steam & Gas, Baraboo WI. Swap meet & auction canceled. Not good with technology so I think it's appropriate to have it here.

I was getting kinda down about this virus stuff, we had been watching the news & talking about it. However we were snapped back to reality by our 5 year old daughter, she got up the other day & turned off the TV. She said "I'm tired of death!"
So now we look at our news on the local news website briefly so we are aware & spend lots of time doing family things. Of course this works now because I'm on vacation for the week. Back to work Wednesday. Stay safe everyone & remember we are ALL in this together. Ltitle ones don't understand thus & need our support.

Robert

Attachments