• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Side Lever Engine

Jim Mackessy

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
Ok, on the elevation of the valve chest there is an upper and lower clamp right in the middle, in the top view they have two 2-3/4" diameter holes. On the right side you have two lifters with 2-3/4" diameter holes. Looks like there are two lifter shafts with these mounted on them. I've got to get my head around the distance from the center of the lift shafts to the center of the valves and see if the lifters are the right length... one is shorter. The legend mentions cut-off. There is some other mechanism in play, the rock shaft lifts a toe on the vertical shaft, the arms attach to that and lift the valve, but what is the cut-off device? Sickel's? I need to dig some. - JM

---------- Post added at 12:35:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21:49 PM ----------

Possibly:
http://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/search/object/nmah_847097

Jim Mackessy

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
I have found some info on period cut-off mechanisms in some materials on the Novelty Iron Works, who also built side lever marine engines with this style gothic frame. When Novelty Iron Works closed up in 1869, they donated their drawings to the Sheffield Scientific School, now a part of Yale. Some of these drawings were of various cut-off mechanisms used in these engines, and one of the drawings is for a Merrick & Sons cut-off. Horatio Allen patented his cut-off in the 1840's. I have not yet found any patent nor any detail drawings. - JM

dave stevena

Registered
now for a little pre planning
here is the CAD drawing for the valve chest and pipes

in the first image at this time I do not know who those green pipes fit I might have them upside down, just don't know yet

the second image I scaled the valve chest and pipes and lo and behold they actually fit the space.

looking closer the valve chest does line up with the pillow block at the top of the frame.

Attachments

dave stevena

Registered
looking close at the bottom of the valve chest there is a fitting that extends into the bed plate.
looking close at the original drawing of the bed plate there are circles drawn in the foot print of the valve chest.

somewhat of a mystery as to what exactly is going on here?

Attachments

dave stevena

Registered
taken from the drawing sheet back in post #77 this is the best I can figure out what it says

Side pipe chest to be each as drawn, the ???? th?? To be changed to opposite sides of the chest respectively, then another chest to be ??? The pattern is then to be altered by changing the bonnet C from the upper to the lower side of the chest as shown by the red lines D,D the stuffing boxes at the top of the chests to be added as shown by the red lines E,E then two more chests to be eas?? ??? one with the cores as drawn and one with the cores changed to the cores the opposite sides respectively the valves and seats ????? marked G and the boxes and caps for lifting rods to be of composition and also the bushings to guides at I,I the connecting pieces to be of cast iron, the valves seats to be ground to their place and held down by the four top bolts the stuffing boxes for side pipes are not to be boxed , ??? the glands to be boxed and turned
Sheet no. 33 drawings with side pipes and valves and cut off pipe complete hangers for rod shafts lifters for valves shaft P block for cut off motion

dave stevena

Registered
the columns from the lower and upper valve chest are wrong. The cylinder valve system was a Stevens system and used on the engine of the Steam ship Pacific. however, finding drawings of this engine or a cylinder valve system seems to be difficult.

dave stevena

Registered
actually I can isolate the lower valve chest and you can see there needs to be some sort of flange to bolt the columns to.
There is also no valve in the chest itself so that must mean these has to be some sort of valve from the boiler to the valve system.

Attachments

dave stevena

Registered
I thought I would do a simple graphic of how the boiler might of worked. In this graphic the smoke and gas would exit the end of the pipes through the end of the boiler.

so I did a second graphic maybe it is the other way around and the water runs through the pipes and the smoke and gas fill the boiler heat the water and exit through the dome and stack. Problem here is how does the steam leave the pipes?

Attachments

dave stevena

Registered
by looking at the following drawings can anyone find an example of what this looks like together?

there are 4 round plates drawn one small and one large. Are the drawings of the front and back of each round plate?

how were the paddles attached to the wheel?

I an thinking there were 3 wheels one in the center and one on either side of the center with what looks like some sort of strut connecting the wheels.

Attachments