• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Single cylinder 2 stroke marine engine possible ID

Scotty 2

Registered
Hello all
Thanks for the input now we all know what I'm yabbering on about.
So it's a Matthews. Goodo. Not a badly made little engine I'd have to say. Now Ian.....what is on your engines where this one I found has the magneto sticking out? I would mind betting they were radiator cooled when I look at the little pulley next to the flywheel and the mounting bolts on the cylinder.

The valves are now free but need a bit of a touch up. The exahaust valve is leaking a bit.
It sucks when your supposed to be packing up to move, but want to potter about with an engine. :(

Cheers Scott

jayvee

Registered
Hi,

Geez, they're starting to come out of the woodwork. I have known of a handful of these engines and another one popped up this weekend past at the Milang Rally.

Might as well chuck in my 2 cents worth.

Here's some pics and info on the Australian copy (Plix)
http://www.oldmarineengine.com/discus/messages/3454/95872.html

There are some photos of one fitted with a radiator on another forum but I cannot recall which one.

Here's a bit of info from a sales spiel.

"From the engine pulley, this compact little plant will produce 3 hp and is sufficient to drive a circular saw and the hundred and one machines which are needed on the farm.
It can be started from a button placed in any part of the house, and can also be stopped automatically by re-pressing a button. It is supplied with an electric governor which ensures even speed and uses only sufficient benzene for the required load.
The lighting capacity of this compact little contrivance is 85 amps with the battery and 65 amps with the engine, only equal to 1 ¼ electric hp.
The plant is built on the same line as a high grade motor car engine, with Bosch magneto, fan and radiator, and thermo-syphon cooling, with finely adjusted Alpha/Schebeler carburettor.
It has interchangeable valves and bearings, any of which are easily accessible.
The engine is a 4 cycle one with 4 pole dynamo, which gives a very even light. It is one of the neatest and most compact plants seen, runs silently and is practically “fool proof” and is “safe and sure.”

jayvee

cobbadog

Registered
Scotty, your just not thinking at the moment are you? Dipstick is your finger down the oil filler hole!
Jeez, it's hard to get good help!

Scotty 2

Registered
Hello all
What a great response. There's some really good information there Jayvee. I can see where/hpw the magneto would fit but still to see an original magneto bracket. In the hcvc link there is a picture of one with points.

Scotty, your just not thinking at the moment are you? Dipstick is your finger down the oil filler hole!
Just how long do you think my finger is? It's about 300mm or more from the filler to the oil.
I might have to make an acrylic cover for the side so I can see the oil level. That would be also good at rallies where people can see what happens inside an engine. Great thinking?

Cheers Scott
PS: how about the diesel engine? Any ideas?

Merv C

Registered
For the record Scott, here is a Chapman Super Pup and a Penguin
You quite accurately described the Penguin. You must have had Penguin tinted glasses!!!
Anyway I am glad it has been identified.

I understand the Chapman is a rare engine. The one in the photo has been salt water cooled and shows sign of salt damage which would have to be dealt with soon. I sold these and a few others for an elderly collector not long ago.

Merv.

[/url]DSCF4928 by Merv Cloake, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]DSCF4927 by Merv Cloake, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]DSCF4919 by Merv Cloake, on Flickr[/IMG]

Scotty 2

Registered
Hello all
Thanks for the pictures Merv. My glasses aren't Penguin coloured. Sometimes what my eyes see isn't what my tiny brain sees. Kid in a lolly shop.
Those are great pictures. If anything, this thread may be a good resource for 2 stroke single cylinder marine engines with the magneto on the end of the crankshaft.

So I've been doing a bit of research and it appears the Matthews were making lighting plants from 1916 to around 1926.
I found this bit of a blurb in a Feb 1926 Motorboating magazine from America. I enjoy the boat magazines. They're a great source of information. from that magazine I figured out to do a bit of a google for Matthews Engineering Company Sandusky and got some more information including a picture of a Matthews with the radiator and fan cooling (bottom Gas Engine Magazine link)
https://books.google.com.au/books?id=uHF5eAfn9MYC&pg=PA80&lpg=PA80&dq=matthews+lighting+plant&source=bl&ots=I-4LsH6h0z&sig=ACfU3U2aB3oo2w009oJEsLrH2dXT4IM-MA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj1k9yJ5f_fAhVHXSsKHcRzCC84ChDoATAAegQIChAB#v=onepage&q&f=false
http://sanduskyhistory.blogspot.com/2009/03/women-at-work-matthews-engineering.html
https://www.gasenginemagazine.com/engines-a-z/matthews-engineering-zmaz13aszbea

Cheers Scott

Nathan Woodruff

Registered
I will have to see if I can get a photo of my mates Mathew. Also with regards to the diesel I think it is a Volvo marine diesel I think possibly a model MD2 although not that sure I have had very little to do with them.

cobbadog

Registered
Scotty,
The correct proceedure is, start engine, remove cover, stick finger in. If oil is found on the finger your good to keep running, obviously!