• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Your account is then manually checked and approved. There is too much funny business on the web for us to do otherwise. Be sure to use a working email address and do not use cloaking or anonymous web connections.

Sleeving a small cylinder

JoeCB

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/19/2020
I'm looking to bore and sleeve a small cylinder on an antique outboard motor. 2 Inch bore. Sleeve is to be cast iron. I sure would like to start machining the sleeve from a piece of cored CI stock rather than having to drill and bore a hunk of solid bar stock. The only cored stock I can find is way to big ( 3- 1/2 OD). Anyone know a source for more reasonable cored (tube) cast Iron stock? Something like 1- 3/4 ID X 2 - 1/2 OD. Maybe it's unavoidable... I'm looking at lots of black chips and a big mess in the shop!

Joe B

JoeCB

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/19/2020
Bill, Thank you - Thank you! Melling is in Jackson MI , about a half hour away from me. I'll call and see if I can just pick up a couple of sleeves. Their smallest size listed ( 1.970 ID ) is exactly what I need.

Joe B

K-Tron

Registered
It may be a better idea to have the piston teflon coated and the bore honed slightly oversize. How are you planning to cut the ports into your cylinder? Last I inquired a sleeve with ports machined into it around your bore size started at $300, and that was several years ago.

Chris

JoeCB

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/19/2020
Thanks again for the lead on the other source, much appreciated. As for the ports, looks like I can get in with an extended mill cutter, like a key cutter. The original ports were cut thru or at least cleaned up in the fashion.

Joe B