• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Be certain that you have spelled your email address correctly! Your account is then manually checked and approved.

Small Gas Tank? Varnish-Rust-Crap?

Glenn Ayers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
04/17/2020
I'm trying Easy-Off Oven Cleaner right now.
Any better ideas ?
It's a couple gallon tank on a Power King tractor.

My next try will be Muriatic Acid .. if the oven cleaner doesn't cut it.

What do y'all use ?

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017
Re: Small Gas Tank ? Varnish-Rust-Crap ??

I use Berkbile 2+2 carburetor cleaner and a good hand full or two of 1/4x20 square nuts. The 2+2 will cut nearly any gum out there, and the nuts will abrade off the loose and light rust. Put in 1/2 a can of 2+2 and the nuts. Shake well. After about 10 minutes, dump out 2+2 and refill with the rest and repeat. The inside of your tank should be clean in about 1/2 an hour. DON'T let the 2+2 get on the paint, it probably will remove it. WEAR glasses - it will damage your eyes if you get it in them. You can get 2+2 at most NAPA or other good auto parts stores. Don't bother with Gumout - nearly worthless in my opinion. NOTE: this method will expose any leaks or holes in your tank!:eek:

Glenn Ayers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
04/17/2020
Re: Small Gas Tank ? Varnish-Rust-Crap ??

I've got a gallon paint can of some kind of NAPA Carb Soak. It's not impressive.
The Carb Soak that they used to sell was way better stuff .... it would make itchy blisters on your hand if it got on you.
I'll ask my NAPA counterman buddy about the Berkbile 2+2 stuff.

Thanks Andrew !

Glenn Ayers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
04/17/2020
Called my NAPA guy .... he never heard of the Berkbile stuff.

Happy to say that the Easy-Off did a fine job. Eats the rust ... the goop .. & the varnish.

Had to re-solder one seam .... now to get a new cap & we're all set.

slip knot

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/27/2019
Muriatic will clean it but it will rust even faster afterwards. Btdt. It takes all the coatings off. Even the good ones

BV071747

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/30/2019
I've used Muriatic acid a couple times. After rinsing and letting it dry I use Red Kote tank sealer and it works good.

Motormowers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019
Ive used acetone with good results but if its not too bad the best carb spray out there these days is sold by Stihl. It cuts anything. Gummout is about the worst now its so watered down.