• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. Be Considerate, this is an application to JOIN Smokstak, therefore it becomes part of a decision to open the door to you or send you off to the dropout file. Place your City, State, Country in the location box and it will be compared to where the internet lookup utilities say that you are. Don't give me a zip code to look up, the Eject button is much easier. We get hundreds of applications, so there is not time for monkey business.

Small low tension coils

Paul J. LeBoeuf

Registered
Could someone direct me to a supplier/builder of small low tension coils to use with a 1-1/2 inch bor by 2 inch stroke hit and miss model engine with make & break ignition?

Last Subscription Date
04/22/2019
Hi, This is my first attempt at answering anyone on this site. Please bear with me for any problems. I am sure I could build a low tension coil for you. I have built severall for my full size hit and miss engines. I have sereral gages of wire to use to build you one. What is the finished size you are looking for? Also what kind of wood finish would like on it? :) Tim

John Newman Jr.

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/10/2019
While a Model T buzz box will certainly work, it is going to appear vastly out of proportion to a model engine - It would be like having a 6' high shipping crate next to a full size engine.
I am facing a similar problem - I am working on making a little engine using my Economy 1-3/4 hp as a guide. Not a copy, but scaling the working components to fit my model. I will be using a battery & coil rather than attempt to build a scale Wico EK mag, that's for sure! I am looking for a high tesnion coil that will be considerably smaller than a standard automotive coil - which would be like having a 40 gal water heater painted black standing next to my full size engine. A little casual research shows that old time model airplane engines with spark ignition used something that would probably be close, but I haven't been able to find one. Anybody got one of these?

Paul J. LeBoeuf

Registered
Tim Litzenberger said:
Hi, This is my first attempt at answering anyone on this site. Please bear with me for any problems. I am sure I could build a low tension coil for you. I have built severall for my full size hit and miss engines. I have sereral gages of wire to use to build you one. What is the finished size you are looking for? Also what kind of wood finish would like on it? :) Tim
Hi Tim , I'm told that the small low tension coil I would have to use would be in the 3-4 ohms resistance to operate on a 6 volt , 4.5 amp battery.
Let me know what you can do .
Paul LeBoeuf
Belle Chasse, Louisiana

Paul J. LeBoeuf

Registered
John Newman said:
While a Model T buzz box will certainly work, it is going to appear vastly out of proportion to a model engine - It would be like having a 6' high shipping crate next to a full size engine.
I am facing a similar problem - I am working on making a little engine using my Economy 1-3/4 hp as a guide. Not a copy, but scaling the working components to fit my model. I will be using a battery & coil rather than attempt to build a scale Wico EK mag, that's for sure! I am looking for a high tesnion coil that will be considerably smaller than a standard automotive coil - which would be like having a 40 gal water heater painted black standing next to my full size engine. A little casual research shows that old time model airplane engines with spark ignition used something that would probably be close, but I haven't been able to find one. Anybody got one of these?
Hi John, I have a couple of small coils purchased from Cole's Power Models in Calif. They measure about 1 inch dia. by 1-1/2 inch long. This might be what you want. I don't have info on the resistance factor etc.
Paul LeBoeuf
Belle Chasse, Louisiana

Paul J. LeBoeuf

Registered
Forrest A said:
You could make one yourself. Get a copy of Bob Shores book on model engine coils.

Forrest A
I read Bob Shores book on coil making ,sounds complicated to me with having to make a coil winder first and I'm not very good at electric circuits and such things as ohms etc.

Forrest A

Registered
You don't have to make a winder. if you are patient and have the time you could wind one by hand. Low tension coils arn't as fussy about the quality of the wind as are the high tension ones.

Forrest A

D. Anderson

Registered
I have found that for low tension ignition(ignitor), if you use the secondary winding on a say, 120volts primary to 12 volts secondary power transformer should do the trick. Now, that is, if you don't mind hiding it. Just another option to consider.
Don