• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Your account is then manually checked and approved. There is too much funny business on the web for us to do otherwise. Be sure to use a working email address and do not use cloaking or anonymous web connections.

Small Municipal Plant

NDmeterman

Registered
A couple weeks ago I went to a small town in northern Brown County, SD to get a look at their diesel plant after spotting it in Google street view.

9447: Northwest view.
9450: Southwest view.
9455: View of exhaust and intake

Attachments

MSchreiber

Subscriber
Re: Small municipal plant

oh yea big ass 397, i know it holds 100 gallons of oil! i'll post up spec sheet tomorrow.

MSchreiber

Subscriber

this is only 397 genset sheet i got. its dated 12-50.

Is this a backup plant now?

Troll

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/10/2017

I just took photos of a D398 last week at the Peoria airport in the basement of the old terminal. Can't upload the photos to this site however as I'm out of room.

NDmeterman

Registered

Yes, the plant is now a backup. Some years ago, the city hooked into a nearby rural electric coop system for its primary source of power.

Part of the municipal distribution system has been rebuilt from 2400 volts to 12.5kV, but enough 2400 volt distribution remains that the city put up that small substation (which has Allis-Chalmers transformers, by the way) to tie the two systems together.

When they need to fire up the plant, the 2400 volts from the generator is fed through the transformer bank just behind the plant and which steps it up to 12.5kV so both sides of the system can be run from the plant.

NDmeterman

Registered

Another small municipal plant - this one in Hawley, Minnesota. The plant appears to have finally been abandoned by the city (the cops used the front of the building as their office until recently). Also, the 2400 volts coming out of the roof riser dead-ends at the next pole to the left.

Attachments

NDmeterman

Registered

A few pictures from my files - the three long-idle diesel engines in the Howard municipal plant - 4, 2, and 6 cylinders. They last ran in 1971.

Attachments

JSWithers

Registered

Another small municipal plant - this one in Hawley, Minnesota. The plant appears to have finally been abandoned by the city (the cops used the front of the building as their office until recently). Also, the 2400 volts coming out of the roof riser dead-ends at the next pole to the left.
This plant has 2 6 cylinder Fairbanks-Morse engines, 2 2 cylinder Fairbanks-Morse engines and 1 6 cylinder Fairbanks-Morse OP engine in it. They are trying to get Rollag to take one of the first 6 cylinder engines. All of the engines are available. The operator has run our 150hp Snow at Rollag for many years. In fact he was instrumental in getting it running when we first got it running. I just saw Kermit yesterday and we talked about those Hawley engines.

Grape

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/16/2019
If you ever get to Roshell Ill. check out their backup plant. 3 big fairbanks; one big opposed cylinder that I believe is also a Fairbanks. And the cream of the crop in a separate building is their first diesel, a WWII sumbarine diesel with its attached alternator. I got to tour this plant a few years ago. At that time it was on standby and started once a month or so for a few hours just to keep everything lubed.
I can't find my photos of that trip right now but will re-post if I do find them.

old sparky

Registered
WE took the 2 and 4 cyl engins out of Howard S D about 5 yrs ago, the 2 and a 1 cyl from canada and a 3 cyl from Gran Marais MN are at Farming of Yesteryear at Kiester Mn.Pictures to come later.

NDmeterman

Registered
Nice to know regarding the Howard generators. What about the switchboard and 6-cylinder unit?

If I remember right, the fellow that was the superintendent then said the 2-cylinder was mainly a parts unit by then.

The 6-cylinder was apparently stuck (as it would be for sitting for over 20 years), as he wanted to demonstrate the ratchet arrangement for bar-starting the unit, but no such luck.