• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Smith's AC Welder

con-rad

Registered
I know nothing about that welder but i have to say it looks awesome! i love the art deco/spaceship style it has. very cool find. i bet it runs like a charm too!

Nevr-Enuf-Stuf

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/15/2019
That is just too Cool! I gotta have one. Ive been a welder for about 25 years and have never seen one of these.

Patrick

dkamp

eMail NOT Working
That's just DRIPPIN COOL... clean it up carefully, give it a careful polish and wax as-is, and put it in the parlor... see how many people mistake it for a wood-burning stove :D

Flange

Registered
Some people are just blessed.That is a sweet looking unit. I own an Acetylene Oxygen set made by Smith I wonder if it is the same Company.

GADavis

Registered
I learned how to weld on one of these monsters that my dad had back in the 50's. It is an AC only machine and I think it had about a 40% duty cycle. You need to use mostly 6010 or 6011 class rods. A 6013 will burn,but sometimes will sputter and blow a hole in thin work. You can use the 7016 type rods, but does not do a good job with this machine. you change the heat range by moving the plug to a different hole. It is all copper wound and weighs probably 300# or better, but probably will still be usable when we are in the ground.

Gene Williams

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/15/2019
I have one, still use it--they work really well. As was said just select the amps you want and put the probe there. I will see if I have a manual.

Commadore

Registered
That's so cool that others out there have seen and used this type of welder before. I have another question that maybe those that have used a welder like this before can hopefully answer. That cable that comes out of the bottom of the machine right below where you select your amperage, what is that for? Thanks

Commadore

Registered
No, it's not for the ground. there is already a spot to plug in the ground. I'm thinking maybe some sort of auxiliary line for something.....??? I don't really know. Could be an auxiliary ground lead of some sorts, just a random guess.....

I like oldstuff

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/09/2015
OMG.. You found R2D2's grandfather.

Definitely clean it up as it's quite the showpiece. And there is nothing finer than an antique that you can use.

Gene Williams

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/15/2019
Robert, I cannot reply to you through your account for some reason, but I am unable to locate the manual for the Smith Welder.

cobbadog

Registered
Just when you think you have seen it all, along comes it's twin.
Very nice find and hopefully it works or can be made to work for you.

landreo

Registered
Another one, model 25-18 along with a 110 volt dynamic welder sitting in top.
I rarely use the A.O. Smith welder since it is an AC only machine. No fan, just a steel can with a transformer inside. The center lead is the amps tap selector. You would think it would go somehow to something special inside the machine but if you trace the center tap selector lead it just goes to the bottom "work" lead tap. Not sure why they do it that way since you can just plug the work lead into whatever amps tap you want, no need for the center lead "selector".

Attachments

Railguy

Registered
New guy first post.
I just bought one of these "model 25-18" . I'm try find out information about it but can't find anything . It still works good. I new it was old but I'm think it's a lot older then I had originally thought. Only paid $100 the seller threw in probably 100 rods and a 30 ft. Extension cord that's as big around as a quarter.
Thanks railguy