• The old site search from Google needs to be updated. Use the Search at the Upper Right, or use What's New in the center - it has a drop down arrow. You will need to change your Favorits by right click mouse and clicking favorites. Many of the posts in How to Use This Web Site are old so the links may or may not work. I have one hell of a lot of work to do!

Smokstak Yamaha generator sub forum

Bassplayer1985

Subscriber
Figured I'd be bold and go ask the question. I see we have a sub forum for Honda generators why not Yamaha? Wasn't sure if there was some crazy reason or not.

I finally got my 2013 Yamaha EF2000is today and the plan is to convert it to tri-fuel with US Carb. They claim their installation won't void the factory warranty, but I'll be sure to do some investigating before committing to the project.

Wayne 440

Re: Why doesn't Smokstak have a Yamaha generator sub forum?

My guess would be that Honda outsells Yamaha by quite a margin, so maybe that is it.

Years ago (mid 80's), I had a tiny Homelite HG600, that was actually a Yamaha painted red instead of blue. I would like to have another in either color.

Bassplayer1985

Subscriber

I don't know about the sales between the companies, but I chose the EF2000is over the honda EU2000i for some pretty small creature comforts.

1. Gas gauge
2. DC charge cords included
3. Separate fuel shut off & ignition switch vs honda's combined switch
4. Valve-train is steel vs honda's plastic composite
5. Smaller displacement engine (79cc vs honda's 98.5cc) for longer engine run time while providing the same wattage as the honda.

Its small stuff like that. Both have a great reliability track record. Given the facts above it was a no brainer for me.:p

P.S. Blue is my favorite color, but i agree, blue or red looks awesome!...racing colors :D

Isaac-1

Just look at the statistics, there are only 691 posts in the Honda section, vs 5,000+ in the Generac section, 11,000+ in the Kohler section, and an incredible almost 94,000 in the Onan section, the better question is why do we bother having a Honda section.

YellowLister

Subscriber

don't forget Kawasaki. those engines managed to find themselves hooked up to a Japanese made Onan labeled generators.. and Generac generators as well as making there own name branded generators. they do make some nice engines for garden tractors and walk behind mowers and other industrial applications as well.. made in Maryville, MO since 1989

don't think we need them tho.. the general discussion area seems pretty good for those not as mass produced well known or mixed matched gen/engine generators

BTPost

Staff member

How about a Japanese Generator forum that would include Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, and their clones? Hmmmm.....

pegasuspinto

And a Chinese generator forum. Sure they are clones, but they come with their own set of headaches. A very large and complete set....

uglyblue66

Subscriber

Well the lack of honda post may be a reflection of reliability,verses a long list of questions and problems with onan and the forsaken china clones.

My experience with onan engines on tractors is they are great till they break,then you have to put on your ski mask and get out the cap pistol and hijack a wells Fargo truck to pay for the parts.

Bassplayer1985

Subscriber

How about a Japanese Generator forum that would include Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, and their clones? Hmmmm.....
Not a bad idea, but just title it to the three major brands you just mentioned. Clones arent worthy of their own "named" sub forum in my eyes. :p

Bassplayer1985

Subscriber

Hey guys!

For those wondering. If you convert a Yamaha generator to tri-fuel (gas propane, NG) with a kit from US Carburetion (http://www.motorsnorkel.com) Yamaha WILL HONOR the factory 3 year warranty even if you install the kit yourself (which is easy btw)

The only catch the lady from Yamaha told me is if any damage occurs as a result of the kit installation, then the warranty is voided. So be sure you install it right.

Some good info to know.

Billy J Shafer

Not a bad idea, but just title it to the three major brands you just mentioned. Clones aren't worthy of their own "named" sub forum in my eyes. :p
I think that would be a good idea. But I can't see just one section on a generator that may get one question in a month. I haven't seen a Yamaha or Kawasaki generator in years

Roland Hayes

We already have a forum for those chinese clones, its called -

Fraud SCAM swindle & steal.....

Last edited:

Andrew Mackey

For those who don't know, generac is a division of Briggs & Stratton. Chinesse made clone engines,m, most of the time. You have about a 1 in 4 chance of getting one that lasts longer than a year!

exbioman

The Ridgid portable 5700 watt generator RD905712A from Home Depot I just purchased has a 291cc Yamaha motor. To PM it at 200 hours the manual says to adjust the valves. But nowhere does it mention the clearance! The Onan BFE 4kw genset in my motorhome requires valve adjustment too. But I can't even see the rear spark plug. Perplexed!