Smolik Brother's M. Rumely - 36 or 40 HP?

G Willikers

Sponsor
Randy,
Tillsonburg is a small community south of Brantford, closer to Lake Erie. He may have been resident there but ran a custom outfit in Alberta. Or perhaps the bank that staked him was in his hometown also, thus the reason he made it to the crow bar hotel in Kingston? Sounds like it could be an interesting story!
Incidently, I bought a post card view a couple of years back of a Reeves engine and threshing outfit and it was given as an Ontario location. But it sure looked Prairie so suspect it was from a chap who went west on a threshing excursion or perhaps a homesteader or custom man from Ontario. I'll try to find it.
Not sure if any Reeves or Rumely engines came in here back in the day. There were very few American engines in Ontario simply because there were so many local manufacturers.
If you send me the chap's name, perhaps there is some information about him around Tillsonburg?
Cheers,
RM

halcon

I looked for those numbers too and there not shown. This list only covered an aria serviced by one inspector, that seems to be west of Saskatoon. That engine must have been in a different aria.

Randy Kvill

Subscriber
G, i will send an email.

Clyde, I believe the engine came from west of Saskatoon as it came into eastern Alberta to near Wainwright to a small town called Czar. It is possible that it came in before 1918, so that may be why our Province called it a 1917 (maybe a dealer resell, factory reconditioned or something like that). However, it seems that our researcher had suggested he saw it in a 1918 Saskatchewan inspector record. The engine works it's way west and ends its working life in a small town called Hay Lakes near Camrose, about 25-30 miles east of Wetaskiwin and slightly north. It was last operated for the Province's golden anniversary in 1955.

Hi Harry,

Further to our previous emails, this is a test picture post of our Rumely. Having problems posting pictures for a long time... Trying from different computer.

On this other computer when we did “upload file from your computer”, Browse, selected a .jpg file that was 4.0MB (4000 KB), and clicked Upload, the file that resulted was only 107 KB, i.e. under the max shown below of 195 KB, so it posted fine.

We have never seen the upload shrink a file before.

Thanks,
Judy Hoffman (George's daughter)

Attachments

Second test picture post - this is our Gaar Scott in Lynden WA in August 2015.

From this computer, the "shrinking" is working properly - this picture I've attached is 2.7 MB (2700 KB) on the hard drive, but once it is uploaded, it is now 87 KB attached to this post.

So, it seems to be working properly from this computer anyway. George will go home and try it from his computer, to see if the shrinking works for him.

The "Manage Attachments" popup still shows a .JPG file limit of 195.3 KB for uploads, but the website is now shrinking the pictures to get them under this limit, which is fine.

Thanks,
Judy Hoffman

Attachments

Third test picture, using the Chrome web browser. (previous two posts today were using Mozilla Firefox) This is our Gaar Scott again, in Lynden. Original pic is 3.555 MB, the uploaded one is 109.9 KB.

Think that someone got the "shrink" function fixed, although the upload limit still shows as 195 KB for .JPG files. But, if they're being shrunk to this size, it's fine for us!

Thanks a lot,
Judy Hoffman

Attachments

I am back at my computer now so will try posting a photo here.
New Rumely 220 Gallon side tank with 330 rivets.
Looks like the problem is now solved
Thanks Harry.
Cheers.

Attachments

Prony Man

I had a couple copies of the 1916 Rumely steam engine parts book made. They are really nice with heavy paper, spiral bound, and a vinyl cover. There is a lot of info about these engines in this book not generally known. When I have more time I will go into detail on some of this.

Prony Man, I would certainly like to purchase a copy of the parts book from you if possible. Please Pm me on this.
Photo is a New old stock 36 hp Rumely bull gear part No. F 547 that a friend found in Alberta a few years ago. It is amazing that this stuff is still laying around a hundred years after it was cast.
Thanks George.

Attachments

I had a couple copies of the 1916 Rumely steam engine parts book made. They are really nice with heavy paper, spiral bound, and a vinyl cover. There is a lot of info about these engines in this book not generally known. When I have more time I will go into detail on some of this.
Thanks for reproducing and mailing the parts book for me. You say the new 36 horse bull gear # F547 is only $80 from Rumely, then I paid too much at $125. I should have ordered it from Rumely. O well it's only money!
Cheers

Prony Man

I am going to post some information I found in the rumely steam engine parts book about the 36 h.p. engines. To understand you need to know the engine types involved. Type "P" has wetbottom, straightside firebox, desighned for burning coal, wood, or straw and carries 175 lbs. pressue and is known as "Plowing Engine". Type "O" is the open bottom firebox, coal, wood, and straw burner, built 1911 and since, and are all mounted on wing sheet boilers. The 36 was built in both P and O types. The parts book refers to engines by the type-hp-number of cylinders. P-36-2 or O-36-2

---------- Post added at 03:04:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:30:29 AM ----------

1. Engine frames. part nos. F 573 & F 574, Engine type P-36-2 1908 only, 7 1/2 X 14 bore & stroke. This is the engine called 35 hp in some catalogs, no mention of 35 hp in the parts book. Part nos. F 617 & F 618, type P-36-2 built 09-10, 7 3/4 X 14. Part nos. F 731 & F 732, types P-36-2 & O-36-2 built 1911 on. These last two are for the wing sheet boilers. One interesting part no. F 414, type P-30-1, 1906 only 30 hp single cyl. plow engine. There are many parts for this engine in the parts book all 06 only.

---------- Post added at 03:22:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04:03 AM ----------

2. Differential and rear axle brackets. Part no. F 544, type P-36-2, 1908-10. Differential & rear axle bracket combined, L.H. uses 31 25/32 X 1 3/4 - 12 thread steam tight bolts. This is the pre-wing sheet style. Part no. F 684, types O-36-2, 1911 on & P-36-2, 1910 on, rear axle bracket, (cannon bearing style) uses 24 1 1/8 X 4 coupling bolts. The P-36-2 got the wing sheet mounted rear axle and differential shaft in 1910 but didn't get the wing sheet mounted engine until 1911.

---------- Post added at 03:32:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:22:00 AM ----------

3. Smoke box door ring. Part no. F 564, P-36-2, 1908 on Used with Rumely boiler. Part no. F 671, P-36-2, 1908 on Used with Moore & Sons or Brennan boilers Part no. F 722, O-36-2 1911 on Used with Erie City boiler.

---------- Post added at 03:40:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:32:01 AM ----------

4. Flues. The 30 and 36 have 2" X 108" flues. The number as follows, O-36-2, 1911 on, 76 flues. P-36-2, 1908 on, 88 flues. P-30-2, 1906 on, 76 flues. O-30-2, 1911 on, 66 flues.

---------- Post added at 03:53:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:40:02 AM ----------

5. Cylinder head. This was unexpected. Part no. FD 126 fits, C-12-1, 1890-04, 12 hp rfsb, 12 porter, and P-36-2, 1908-11. uses 4 5/8 X 1 3/8 cap bolts and 1 5/8 X 2 1/4 stud. Part no. FF 136 fits O-36-2, 1910 on, and P-36-2, 1911 on. uses 5 5/8 X 1 3/8 cap bolts and 2 5/8 X 2 1/4 studs.

Prony Man, Received the parts book today and found it interesting reading.
I see that Rumely built Compound engines in 1896,7, and 8 only. Do any survive today?

The first 36 dry bottom was built March-1-1910. All of these boilers were built by Erie Ironworks Erie Penn. and shipped to the Rumely plant at Battle Creek Mich. for erection. They were used starting on the 36 horse double engines first, starting at serial #5630 March -1-1910
Then on 30 double starting at #5960 -15 Feb -1911 With a 38" dia. boiler
Then on 20 double starting at #6009 17- mar.1911 With a 36" Dia. boiler
Then on 25 single starting at # 6121-25 June 1911 With a 38" dia. boiler
Then on 20 single starting at # 6139 8 July 1911 With a 36" Dia. boiler
Then on 20 double starting at #6429- 22nd July 1912
Then on 20 single starting at #6322- 16 April 1912
Then on 16 double Starting at #6342 -4 May 1912
Then on 20 Double starting at #6429-22nd of July 1912
Then on 16 single starting at #6372 -5th June 1912
It is odd that they reduced the boiler diameter by 2" on the 20 horse singles and doubles after the 17 March 1911.
Cheers George

Prony Man

George, That was fast service from the post office. I do not know of any compound Rumelys myself, but one could be in a museum somewhere. I really don't know what happened with the barrel dia. on 20 hp engines. Sometimes in the book there will be a part listed used on one engine number only. There is a Double ported valve listed as special-used on one engine only. This was on a 36 hp engine. So they did try things on these engines, maybe they built one hotrod engine and it started the 40 hp myth. I think the real hotrod Rumely would be the C-25-2 Imagine a 25 double in the small package of the early differential on axle style engine. Also notice the Rumely reverse, maybe like a marsh? Did you find the plowing video?

Prony Man, There are a few mysteries in the parts Book.
The listing for new Canopys shows they were made of Cottonwood. For 8,10, and 12 horse engine supplied with 3 maple ribs with 5 circles. On the big engines it shows 5 maple ribs with 6 circles. It also notes an "X" beside the engine number indicates the canopy must be shipped with an extra circle. What is this about? Never heard of such a thing.
Another item shows Smoke box extension rings. They are 22" long for 26, 28, 30, 32, and 34 inch diameter boilers. We have heard of the old timers adding to smokeboxes, however I didn't realise that Rumely actually supplied the rings for them.
The 36 horse Erie boilers had the smokebox sheet wrapped around the outside of the boiler shell. This makes for one impressive riveting job. With the butt strap there is 2-1/2" stack of plates to be made steam tight. It must have taken a lot of heating and beating. Cheers
Below is a photo of the joint.

Oilpulled

Justin Hingeton added length to his big Rumely boiler smokebox and I did not like the long boiler. Locomotive boilers look too long without that.