• Join us and fill out the registration form with your INTERESTS, your CITY, STATE, COUNTRY, NO ZIP CODES! Your account is then manually checked and approved. Please follow these instructions by using City, State, Country in your location! Incomplete applications will be REJECTED. If you like what you see here, PLEASE SUBSCRIBE and support our web site! -- Harry

Snapper 00 grease?

DR Blue

Registered
Does anyone know how to make the Snapper 00 grease? I know the different places that i can buy it, but the price is just more then i want to spend. $14.00 and up for 32oz is just crazy in my opinion. im thinking it a mix of 80-90 gear lube and motor oil, but idk:/ please help
thanks Jake!

It's a lot thicker than 90 weight. Closer to gun grease thinned with 90 weight. It's not really pourable if that answers your question.

Buy the right stuff. It will be worth it in time and trouble.

John Deere corn head grease may work as a substitute and is readily available. The last time I bought some it costs roughly $4.00 per 14 oz. tube. It is a pourable "0" grease which would be slightly thicker than the "00" grade.

i have "12" riders that im doing:/

I gotcha', but if it's too thin it will literally pour out on the ground, and then where will you be? Buying the correct stuff and doing the job over, that's where. Those snapper rearends aren't much on seals, because they rely on the thick viscosity to stay put. I've seen my share where guys filled em' up with 140 weight, and it leaked over everything.

Bill the customer for the grease, and do the job correctly.

I suggest buying the proper grease if your doing that many because if one doesn't like it you might find all wont like it and its cheaper to do it right the first time

the 00 wont stay in there worth a hoot if there is any wear at all on the parts. i sure wouldn't try something thinner.

Most of the times guys over grease those gear boxes. Do not take out the bottom plug and fill to the hole. That will make them leak so then guys put more back in! Take out the top plug and look in the hole. If it has grease on the gears, that's enough. We have not used Snapper grease for many years because of cost. I have 2 suppliers, one is $9.07 and the other 12.79 a quart. Check the aftermarket guys ( Oregon, Stens, etc). Typically 2oz each max, 1 qt should do you unless you take them apart and wash them out. Them it 14 oz differential, 2 oz chain case.

I repaired a backhoe for the local Shell jobber, asked about 00 grease, he gave me 5 gallons, don't know what it sells for.

Most of the times guys over grease those gear boxes. Do not take out the bottom plug and fill to the hole. That will make them leak so then guys put more back in! Take out the top plug and look in the hole. If it has grease on the gears, that's enough. We have not used Snapper grease for many years because of cost. I have 2 suppliers, one is $9.07 and the other 12.79 a quart. Check the aftermarket guys ( Oregon, Stens, etc). Typically 2oz each max, 1 qt should do you unless you take them apart and wash them out. Them it 14 oz differential, 2 oz chain case.

Oh ok, I was told that it took 2 16oz jugs of 00 grease for the RH gear box. I put new bushings an seals and the boots, on most of them. I have buyers for most of the mowers, but i was hopping to keep the price down to keep everyone happy. Thanks you all so much for your help:3 Im not really a Snapper guy, mostly restore the old MTD and Simplicity. 00 grease is new to me.

Thanks everyone for the help!:D

I have 2, 1 is rougher than the other, that i hope to patch up over the next few months.

Tractor supply has it. Around $5.00 a bottle. I usually make my own with reg. Chassis grease and 80w90 gear oil,about half and half. Just pump in a few shots of grease, then add some gear oil. Works good

If you mix soap complex grease with gear oil, you may end up with a caustic mess that will eat up dissimilar metals in the gear box! Soap and oil do not do well together. Most moly and lithium greases are soap based today. That's why they make non greasable front end parts - water washes out the new soap based grease!

If you can't get OO grease, you might try a marine shop and get lower end lube for outboard engines..Virtually identical and won't absorb water. has high pressure lube in it so gears will last longer.
Andrew

years ago at the mower shop we used to mix grease with 80-90. half and half. If you put in oil it will leak if you put in grease it may not coat all the parts. We had no problem with the mix. There was nothing in those low speed trany's that needed anything special.

I wrenched at a Snapper dealer for 6 years. "00" grease is not a place to cut corners. Had to rebuild more than a few chaincases that a tightwad put gear oil in because the correct lube was "too high". Run all summer with no lube because it had all leaked out a week after he filled it.

On the bright side, they don't call for Bentonite Grease. Like $30 for a quart.

There are also aftermarket sources for the "00" grease. Stens, Rotary, Oregon, and the like. Quality is good and usually about $15 for 32 oz. Not 16 oz like the Snapper stuff. Can do two mowers for the same money.

Remember, "It is the stingy person who spends the most." Every time I have ignored that advice, it has come back to bite me in the hind parts...

Back