• The old site search from Google needs to be updated. Use the Search at the Upper Right, or use What's New in the center - it has a drop down arrow. You will need to change your Favorits by right click mouse and clicking favorites. Many of the posts in How to Use This Web Site are old so the links may or may not work. I have one hell of a lot of work to do!

Snappin Turtle Mower By Snapper

tubajock

one feature i do like it the blade disengage ability (not something you see on a push mower):

all it does it tilt the engine!

---------- Post added at 09:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 PM ----------

Can anyone point me to more information on the early Snappin turtles? i have failed in finding much on google

Paul Spence

Subscriber
A guy I know had two of them and awhile back asked if I was interested at a $100 each :eek: . I told him I'm interested, but wouldn't pay that much for them, not really my thing. I saw him last week and he told me his brother "JUNKED" :kick: :rant: both of them . WHAT !!! :shrug:

Culy

The cast turtle head on the front brings more than the mower does in some cases. Was at an auction a year ago that had one. The auctioneer took the head off and sold it for $125 and the mower sold for $50 minus the head.:O

I have one like that. With non-original engine. Only thing is mine has the discharge on the left side. I'd never seen one with it on the left. I had used one as a pre-teen and it was a cutting fool, got big weeds and all. Les

Andy Williams

you are lucky, nice looking mower, i have 2 a restored large first year model and a recently got a later smaller one that has sat out for years.

miltruck

Ran one of these when I was about 13 for a neighbor. Only problem with the bar under the mower was it tended to knock down tall grass before cutting. Also, must have been the small one as it took forever to do the lawns. Never did see another.

tractornut

What kind of information are you looking for? I have 6 of the walkers and 3 of the rideing snappin turtles and a good stack of paperwork on them.

tractornut

What style of deck do you have? I have seen both left and right discharge on the older round nose decks but i havent saw any of the newer decks like is posted above. As for the reason for the difference, i dont know myself but i noticed that most of the left discharge decks have a plate over the hole because i best guess is it blew all the grass onto the engine while mowing.

---------- Post added at 03:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:02 PM ----------

Go to antiquetractors.com. and under garden tractor photos type in snappin turtle. The first one listed is greg in ohio and his is a left discharge. Then derek in ohio that is my collection 5 yrs ago before i sold some and added some.

tubajock

i'm looking for possible manuals and engine types (i highly doubt mine is original) as well as a general history of them.

What style of deck do you have? I have seen both left and right discharge on the older round nose decks but i havent saw any of the newer decks like is posted above. As for the reason for the difference, i dont know myself but i noticed that most of the left discharge decks have a plate over the hole because i best guess is it blew all the grass onto the engine while mowing.

---------- Post added at 03:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:02 PM ----------

Go to antiquetractors.com. and under garden tractor photos type in snappin turtle. The first one listed is greg in ohio and his is a left discharge. Then derek in ohio that is my collection 5 yrs ago before i sold some and added some.
Greg's is very much like mine. Mine has the hitch point for the sulky. The discharge port has a small aluminum hood over it, possibly not original. There are also bolt holes around it where something could be mounted. I'll try to get pictures later and put here and on yesterday's tractors.

tractornut

Well your engine isnt correct and is to new for it. The engine pulley does look right though and should be a two peice pulley. The original engine should be a model 8 Briggs or a model 1200 clinton.Your mower looks like a peice together mower. The handle bars and the deck seem to match but that deck type should have a 2 groove pulley on the spindle and a aluminum pulley on the rear drive for the reverse and that would mean a 3 groove pulley on engine. Everything thats on yours is original but is for the older model. The handle bars were actually chrome from factory and you r missing a tin cover over the fwd/rev. And throttle lever

---------- Post added at 09:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 PM ----------

The little aluminum cover is original but most are either missing or broke. Of all the ones i have had i only have had one good one and one broken one.

tractornut

I tried to upload a few pictures of my brochures but thats one i dont have. Only one i have in red is for the Big Snapper the 32 and 36 inch riders