Snappin Turtle Mower By Snapper

1: shows discharge port and aluminum hood on left side of deck.

2:&3: show drive system. Handle down (as shown) drive is engaged, pull handle up to handle bar and drive is disengaged, pull handle up past the handle bar and the black disc to left of v-belt presses against the engine shaft and you have reverse.

4: shows the drive roller, transmission is to the left end of drum.

Attachments

1: in focus shot of head. Need to get some kind of closeup lens ffor my camera.
2:&3: both are shots of ID Plate. you can see the need ofr a better lens.
Text on ID Plate:
SNAPPIN' TURTLE
MODEL 2 1/4 91 100 SERIAL NO. A70196
PATENT NOS. 2,513,635 , 2,549,317 ,
2,564,586 OTHER PATENTS PENDING

POWER IMPLEMENT DIVISION
McDONOUGHPOWER EQUIPMENT, INC.
McDONOUGH, GEORGIA

4: closeup of bottom of trans.

Attachments

Dick DeBuse and/or tractornut: do you (or anybody else) have a manual, operator/parts/repair for the mower? I know the engine isn't original and I may see about finding one for mine.

Ran across this pic on Google: if you took off the handlebar on mine and added the seat, front tires and steering you would have this early small rider.

Attachments

Irst

I have a cast iron snapper head from one of the early mowers that had the cast iron rollers on the underside - if anyone is interested in purchasing for a resto they are doing

cycleman 250

Hello, do you still have any papper work on the snappin turtle walk behind mowers ? I would like to find a parts lists for my mower. Thanks, mike g

Zen

I sent an email to Snapper a few months ago to see if they still had decals avalible for my Snappin' Turtle. They sent me a scan of a manual and said it was all the info they had on them. If anyone wants a copy, let me know and I'll email it to you.

Grit

I just got my Snappin Turtle running and cutting. Does anyone know if all Snappin Turtles came with reverse? Not sure if mine has reverse or it’s just not in gaging.
Thanks

Ogrebeast64

I just got my Snappin Turtle running and cutting. Does anyone know if all Snappin Turtles came with reverse? Not sure if mine has reverse or it’s just not in gaging.
Thanks
The only reverse I had was to pull back on the drive engagement lever. Seeing as how all the rubber on the pulley was gone, it was an ungodly metal on metal screeching.

gdstew

look at the 3rd picture on post 25. When you push the transmission assy forward, the disc on the left rubs against the belt on the engine pulley, making the trans to move backwards.

Slapshot

We had one in Ann Arbor, MI in either the late '50's or early '60's. Thanks for posting the pics and literature. Since I was the oldest son, it was my job to mow our lawn...