• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Solex 30MH carbi

Scotty 2

Registered
Hello all.
I came across this carbi in a pile of crap and it looked interesting. Anyone know what it's off?
I thought marine or stationary engine but I read they were also put on cars. Motorcycle was ruled out because of the weight. It was a leading thought until a mate said I'm an idiot. "It's too heavy to hang off the side of a bike engine you idiot" is what he said if I remember. So there. A bit of a character is Smithy.
One thing that did spark my interest was the no mixture screw thingo. In the last picture you can see the tickler and to the left and down a smidge is a flat round spot. According to research this is where the mixture screw is supposed to be. Very interesting I reckon.
As suggested in the model, the diameter of the inlet is 30mm. It's a big, heavy bronze thing. That's a 4" vice jaw in the pictures. Or was it a 3" one? I'll check.
I did find a manual for them.
http://www.hells-confetti.com/Technical data/Solex/Solex MV MH Instruction Booklet long.pdf

The same bike bloke who called me an idiot suggested an easy way to find out what the carbi could have been fitted upon was too go to a rally and put a sign on it. Early Viliers carb of mower. Someone would be sure to say the sign is wrong and tell me all about it, even if it's to tell me I have the wrong 'of' in the sign. :giggle:

Cheers Scott

IMG_20200511_121433.jpg

IMG_20200511_121422.jpg

IMG_20200511_121412.jpg

IMG_20200511_121402.jpg

Scotty 2

Registered
I too was thinking it's off a stationary engine.
When I first saw it I thought Bamford EG1 but then thought the Bamford had a more fancy looking carbi similar to Mr Dobbo's . Upon researching, the EG1 had a 26FHG. I'm looking for a 26FHG or just the bit that bolts to the engine if anyone has one sitting in their shed. The rest of the Bamford is sitting under the bench.

Last edited:

Dobbo56

Registered
When I first saw it I thought Bamford EG1 but then thought the Bamford had a more fancy looking carbi similar to Mr Dobbo's . Upon researching, the EG1 had a 26FHG. I'm looking for a 26FHG or just the bit that bolts to the engine if anyone has one sitting in their shed. The rest of the Bamford is sitting under the bench.
Scotty
You could try VACES (Vintage Air Cooled Engine Spares) Stephen Woods down here in Lake Macquarie www.vaces.com.au I just purchased a gasket kit foor the 26FHDT from him, he might have parts or a complete unit.
Cheers Dobbo

cobbadog

Registered
When I was searching for the correct type of needle and seat for the Solex FP-30 on the David Brown I stumbled onto this Company up on the Gold Coast. They also do fuel pumps and vacuum pumps for vehicles 1928 - 1988.
Classic Carburettor Kits (spelling as on his card)
Gavin Campbell.
www.classiccarbs.com.au Email info@classiccarbs.com.au
0408 153 514.

I have no interest in the company but they knew exactly what it was I needed before I finished describing what I had.

Scotty 2

Registered
Nah, mine's all corroded and nasty looking :cool:. Jarrod.
And the fuel bowl on yours comes out the left where Mr Dobbo's comes out on the right as your looking from the front.
Also the bolts that attach yours to the manifold is in a horizontal plane where Mr Dobbo's is in a vertical plane.
You haven't got 2 of them have you Jarrod?
Cheers from your old mate, buddy, pal
Scott ;)

asw20

Registered
I bought that one off Rob (old timer engines) at a rally last year. I thought it "might come in handy". I have a funny feeling I might have another in a foam esky of Howard 12 bits I was given. Will have to have a look. If you actually have a use for it, then it's better off in your shed than mine...
Give me a nudge in a week, if I don't get back to you.

Jarrod.