• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

solution welding flux cored rods

cobbadog

Registered
Hi Jim,
I too have seen these adds and was curious about them. The more I thought about them the more my memory took me back to my very young years watching a bloke called Joe the Gadget Man selling useless kitchen appliances and making it look so easy to use. Mum would then sometimes rush off to Knock & Kirbys to buy the item only to see it end up in the bin a fortnight later.
It comes dow to my way of thinking that yes these things do work but not until you have stuffed so many jobs up that it would have been cheaper to pay someone to do it for you.
I used to be quite good on oxy welding when I was panel beating but you will need to have very good torch skills to do what those demonstrations are showing without blowing holes through the material and to see them fill those large holes up so easily.
I would guess if you want to buy a load of these rods and have a good supply of LPG gas then go for it. Also I suggest to go to YouTube and search for videos on how to 'solder' aluminium. There is a lot of preparation in it, like anything else and from memory a brass wire brush is a must, not wire. LEt me know your thoughts, I possibly would ahve a go at it if I had enough of it to do.

dkamp

eMail NOT Working
Back in college, A guy bet me a hundred bucks that I couldn't weld a bedframe rail back together with a coathanger, and that bought me lots of pizza...

I suppose I could make a video of that, and sell lots of coathangers... But I wouldn't recommend it as a practical repair for anything, and there's lots of better uses for old coathangers.

If it was 'seen on TV' more than in a professional repair shop, there's probably a reason why. There's so many flavors of aluminum, that if there's a 'magic rod', one can be fairly certain that there's more adhesion being done by the flux, than the metal inside.

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
aluminum, Is a whole different animal! I have welded it both with mig & tig and there is a good reason they both use argon gas shielding! even a dirty argon tank will foul you up!:rant:I am fair with a mig and a tig is the sh!t. these rods sound like a hoax to me.

LCJudge

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/14/2019
aluminum, Is a whole different animal! I have welded it both with mig & tig and there is a good reason they both use argon gas shielding! even a dirty argon tank will foul you up!:rant:I am fair with a mig and a tig is the sh!t. these rods sound like a hoax to me.
The rods work pretty well but you have to scrub the heck out of the areas to be joined with the stainless steel brush. It has to be cleaned thoroughly to base metal with no chance of any oxidation being on it.

There was a guy who used to come to Denton, NC who sold those rods. He had family here in KY and every year I'd connect with him and we'd chat. He made it look easy......but it wasn't. He said the only way you could use the rods was to clean with the stainless steel brush or file it. You couldn't use a grinder. You actually heated the base metals and let them melt the rod and didn't heat the rod itself. I think it had a melting point on the rod around 800.

I saw him bond aluminum together, copper to aluminum, aluminum to brass, pot metal and a few other things. He'd take 2 pieces of 1/8 thick alum or the other metals I mention and solder them together. He'd then put a $50 bill on the table and say anyone that could break the bond could get the money. I've probably seen it done 50 times where a guy would stick it in his vice and beat the heck out of it. I never saw anyone break the bond. Of course Alum, Copper, etc is soft enough that it would always bend and double up but never break.

After the guy would beat on it for 2 or 3 minutes he'd give up and hand the hammer back to him. Then there would be a steady line of folks with their $20 in hand to buy about 10 of the 12 inch rods because they were "wonderful"..... until they got home and tried to use them and found his years of experience knowing exactly how much heat to apply, how to spread the puddle to bond and so on was the key.

He told me he bought the rods in 6 ft lengths and cut them to 12". He said they were made in TX, or AZ.....I can't remember. He did well on them. So well that he quit his engineering job with a plant there in NC to sell the rods. He said he about doubled his income the first year.

Much more info than any of you wanted....... but I'm a curious type and when I get to talking to someone I quiz the heck out of them. They usually tell me quite a bit, probably hoping to get rid of me (Dad would sometimes get mad at me and say "son, you'll ask me a dozen questions just to find out the time of day")

mcostello

Registered
I have used them and got it to work. I plugged a hole in 1/2" Aluminum that was 1" deep. It only had an 1/8" hole in it. Only put in a 1/4" thick layer. One thing to watch out for is it seems to concentrate the heat and the first layer melted all the way through requiring a steel backer plate. Still being used after 5-6 years on a electric glue heater plate.