• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Sometimes we get lucky, and others REAL lucky

Motormowers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019
Last week I happened to be coming home from a doctors appointment in a town I usually dont venture to for anything and while stopped at a light I looked over in this shopping plaza at a pawn shop that had generators, bikes, and compressors outside for sale. I NEVER go to pawn shops, you really take a chance buying anything engine powered there. Against my better judgement I turned around and checked the place out. While looking at all the large Honda generators a guy walks out and asks if I had an interest ( they were priced way too high). I said no I was looking for stuff needing repair. He mentioned he had a Honda that was theirs from a good customer that said it ran and worked fine but they could never get it started and if I wanted it for $100.00 it was mine. So he pulls out this almost new EB3000c Cyclo converter unit thats only a few years old and clean. These are $1500.00 new. I got it for $50.00. I came home and put it on the bench and sprayed carb cleaner into the intake, nothing. Thinking this was too easy I removed the oil cap, low on oil! Topped it off and it started first pull! The thing is so quiet its amazing, I could run it all night without bothering the neighbors plus its clean power for the flat screen TV and my computers. I ran it with a load 20 mins and changed the oil then ran it out of gas and sprayed silicone lube in the gas tank to protect it. Then I listed my China Honda knock off I got for free on Craigs and got $150.00 for it and not only got a Honda now thats almost new but put $100.00 in my pocket. Sometimes life just goes our way.

Attachments

Leonard Keifer

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/05/2018
It's amazing the number of people who don't know that Honda engines have a low oil cut off switch. Never got around to reading the owner's manual, I guess.

John Newman Jr.

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/10/2019
Amen to the Low Oil Cut-Off Switch!
Once got a call from a friend saying his Honda powered welder would not run at the jobsite he was at. Said it started in his shop before he left and now it wouldn't. I drive 30 minutes to get where he is and had him going in 2 minutes or less when I told him it needed to sit level and topped off the crankcase with some 30W. He still paid for my time & travel.

Motormowers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019
Where in my post did I mention I listed it in the free section? Reading and comprehending a post may be another thing you're doing wrong.

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017
An admonition that should be observed by any generator owner - CHECK YOUR OIL BEFORE STARTING!. SHUT OFF BEFORE REFUELING AND CHECK OILBEFORE RESTART! :rant: Don't know how many times I have gone to out of service engines and generators only to find low or no oil in the crankcase :mad: