• The old site search from Google needs to be updated. Use the Search at the Upper Right, or use What's New in the center - it has a drop down arrow. You will need to change your Favorits by right click mouse and clicking favorites. Many of the posts in How to Use This Web Site are old so the links may or may not work. I have one hell of a lot of work to do!

Spark Plug Substitute Question

Peter Holmander

Subscriber
Does anyone know if an ignitor off a pellet stove would work as a substitute for a long reach spark plug? I am posting a link to a similar ignitor that I am talking about.

https://www.amazon.com/Englander-Pellet-Igniter-Replacement-PU-CHA/dp/B00M39PT0W/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_60_t_2/146-6441169-4944925?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=A8R91FSWDSTNZ4ZR6DTR

Would a unit like this put out a strong enough spark if powered by a Wico OC magneto? I'm assuming one lead would be grounded to the engine and the other wired to the magneto. Please correct me on the wiring of this ignitor.

I like this ignitor because the way it is mounted on the metal collar with a set screw, a 1/2 inch pipe plug could be drilled out to accept the ignitor instead and then you could set the depth of the business end of it with a similar set screw.

I am going to try to use an ignitor like this one on a Reid oilfield engine.

There was a post regarding this back in 2009 and I am trying to contact the author of that post to find out what ignitor he used. I believe he fired it with a buzz coil.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Andrew Mackey

Re: Spark Plug substitute question

Pat, that is a surface ignitor - basicly a glow plug that turns red hot to ignite the pellets. They are for intermittant use, and not under compression. probably would not last long in an engine combustion chamber. Check out the Auburn site. I had an Auburn oil burner igniter that was 14mm x 3/8" reach threads base, but the electrodes extended about 3/4" into the chamber. I used it in a tennis ball launcher!:D

Tracy T

Subscriber

another issue using the pellet stove ignitor, how are you going to control timing when it stays white hot? just a thought.

Peter Holmander

Subscriber

Thanks to all who posted responses. I did not realize that the ignitor I was looking at was only for starting the pellets and not intermittent firing like a spark plug. I have another related post in the oilfield engine section and a member there posted a link to a catalog that sells extended reach ignitors brand new. This place is great. Ask a question and 99% of the time, you will get an answer and learn something in the process.

cobbadog

My question now is would that style of extended reach ignitor work off a Wico OC magneto which I guess might be a low tension magneto for the original style ignitor system?

Sorry if this is a silly question as I was led to believe that a low tension magneto would not drive a spark plug.

My question now is would that style of extended reach ignitor work off a Wico OC magneto which I guess might be a low tension magneto for the original style ignitor system?

Sorry if this is a silly question as I was led to believe that a low tension magneto would not drive a spark plug.
The WICO "OC" magneto is, in fact, a high tension device. It is probably one of the hottest high tension mags used on gas engines. If you are familiar with the WICO "EK" mag, the "OC" is its big brother. Their designs and operation are essentially the same; the "OC" is just way bigger.

Peter Holmander

Subscriber

I tested mine like they advise you to do in the OC manual and it puts out a pretty damn hot spark. Mine will jump almost a 1/2 inch gap. I wouldn't want my fingers on the business end of that spark lol