• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Sparta Economy ID

kelden

Registered
I just bought I believe a horse and a half Sparta,not sure. Looks like my economy except the oiler is behind the water tank and has a one bar Webster mag. No tag on it,but complete otherwise. any help please.
Thanks, Kelden

kelden

Registered
Just bought this Economy with no tag,otherwise complete. Looks like my one and half econ except oiler is behind the water cooler and has a single bar Webster. Any advise will help.
Thanks. Kelden

Tom Cwach

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/18/2019
Re: sparta econ ID

Need picture. D series had no tag. Serial number on end of crankshaft. Open top water hopper.

Kirk Taylor

Registered

Just bought this Economy with no tag,otherwise complete. Looks like my one and half econ except oiler is behind the water cooler and has a single bar Webster. Any advise will help.
Thanks. Kelden
Sounds like a model "E". A photo would confirm that. What model is your other Economy?

Kevin Weis

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/13/2019

Kelden,

I'm not a Sparta expert but the Webster mags didn't come on the Economy's until after Hercules took over late in 1913-14. So that probably isn't a Sparta. Others can weigh in as I said I'm not an expert. You'll probably find you answer though otherwise looking through the Sparta threads.

Kevin

kelden

Registered

my other one is a model E, 1923 Rounded corners on water hopper and oiler tube thru
water hopper. This one has more sharp corners, also oiler behind hopper with a one bar Webster.
Thanks for any help.

---------- Post added at 07:56:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:54:34 AM ----------

Thanks, I will check.

Kirk Taylor

Registered

my other one is a model E, 1923 Rounded corners on water hopper and oiler tube thru
water hopper. This one has more sharp corners, also oiler behind hopper with a one bar Webster.
Thanks for any help.

---------- Post added at 07:56:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:54:34 AM ----------

Thanks, I will check.
The earlier "E" engines are as you describe. I don't know exactly when the oiler tube was moved, but it was late in the "E" engine production. With a date of 1923, I am surprised your other engine isn't tagged as an "F".

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017
Take a close look at the ends of the crankshaft. On the early engines, the S/N was stamped into the crank. I has a 1913 Hercules, and it was as you described except that it has a single magnet Webster Tripolar on it. S/N started 51---

Dave Nielsen

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
02/07/2018
If it is a Sparta it will have the Lunkenheimer mixer on it. The 1hp, 1 1/2hp Sparta's, D's, and early E's had a elongated water hopper opening. Not the standard square opening as on the later Economy's. A picture would help. The early 1hp Sparta's had the governor in the cam gear and not the standard fly ball governor.

Kirk Taylor

Registered
I just bought I believe a horse and a half Sparta,not sure. Looks like my economy except the oiler is behind the water tank and has a one bar Webster mag. No tag on it,but complete otherwise. any help please.
Thanks, Kelden
If you go here:
http://www.herculesengines.com/hercules/econ_pics.html
and scroll down to the middle of the page, you will see several photos of a typical model "E" Economy. Further down the page is a model "F" engine which I am guessing looks like your "other engine". Near the top of the page are photos of Sparta and "D" engines. They are quite distinctive.

Joel Mosley

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
11/16/2019

Thanks for any help.

Thanks, I will check.
Maybe your 1923 is a Hercules and not an Economy with rounded corners. Are you able to post pictures of both engines so we can help you out?

Joel

Last edited: