• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Splitdorf Coil

Jerry

Registered
Last Subscription Date
07/08/2012
Hi I just dug this out of a Barn and I am hoping that some of you on this site could give me some insight on it the only markings i can find is the word Splitdorf on it.

Thank you for any help....Jerry

Attachments

Jerry

Registered
Last Subscription Date
07/08/2012
Elden Thank you for the Information, that will give me a place to start. Thanks again Jerry

Jerry,
I just saw the photos of the splitdorf buzzer coils. I am restoring a 1908 Maxwell which uses splitdorf coils similar to the ones you found.
If you are interested in selling them please contact me.
Charlie Sorensen

piewagon

Registered
I might be able to help you know how to wire it. The 2 large terminals at the bottom had some screw on High Voltage Insulators that kept the spark plug wires from arcing to the other 2 connections and to the people. Those 2 are the spark plug connections but you probably guessed that. At the top of the assembly you can see the long metal strap that is joining the 2 coils. That is the common battery connection that is probably connected to the center of the switch. That center switch knob is probably a removable key that kills the battery path when it is not plugged in. The center position of the switch shuts off the coil box while the left and right positions select either BATTERY A or BATTERY B which are the 2 battery banks that you had when the car had no ignition other than batteries. The bottom connections that are smaller are either the 2 timer connections or the BATTERY A and BATTERY B connections. I suspect they are the battery connections. You didn't show a picture of the back panel but I am betting there are some angular holes drilled through the back panel near the top that connect to the 2 separate coil connections and I think THOSE are the timer wire connections for the 2 cylinder car that this came from. Thus there would typically be 6 connections namely 2 spark plug wires, 2 timer wires, and 2 battery wires. Show a picture of the back panel and/or look for small holes through it that are near those 2 remaining coil connections are are NOT jumpered from coil to coil.