• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

Standing upright at last

DaveMisch

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/05/2019
The Engine from the SS Canadiana, The Christal Beach Boat, Has been on its side on our grounds for 7 years. An agreement between the almost extinct Friends of the Canadiana and WNY Gas & Steam Engine association was finally reached. A concrete foundation was poured this past December and Winters Rigging set it upright on the foundation mid July 2016. The attached pictures were taken on a very bright day and I could not see much on the camera viewer. Some of the pictures were not aimed very well. I tried to get all four sides straight on and and diagonal shots between them.

Dave Mischler, This years Rally, our 50th, runs Sept 8 - 11, 2016

Attachments

DaveMisch

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/05/2019
Rest of the pictures. Sorry I really chopped off the triple cylinders. You get a good look at our concrete work.

OTTO-Sawyer

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/15/2019
So what kind of size are we talking on this one ?

I'm guessing maybe 2 ft square pads that it's setting on to give myself a little bit of perspective on it.

:salute:

DaveMisch

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/05/2019
The engine is 20 ft tall. 1446 horsepower, weighs 63 tons. Cylinders are 20, 32, and 50 inches. Stroke is 36 inches.
The Canadiana website is up again. Lots of history to read.
www.sscanadiana.com
When I go to the club again I will try putting cardboard around the camera viewer so I can see what I am trying to center in the picture. I can also put my 5'2" wife in a couple of the pictures for scale

Come see this and everything else on our 200 acre grounds.

September 8 - 11, 2016 Exhibitors can start setting up on the 5th. Labor Day

Dave Mischler

Last edited:

Bolens 1000

Registered
Wow! Cant wait to see it when I go down there for the show
The winters are masters at moving heavy equipment :clap:
Anyone get video of the move?

DaveMisch

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/05/2019
There are a whole string of still pictures of the move. I don't have them on my computer so far. No video as far as I know.

Dave Mischler

DaveMisch

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/05/2019
I'm 77 years old. Just old enough to have ridden on the Crystal Beach Boat with my mom and siblings. All about it if you click on www.sscanadiana.com
From the lowest passenger deck you could watch the engine through a heavy screen. My high school sweet heart and I took the moon light Sunday Evening ride the last season that the ship sailed out of Buffalo. We have been married 56 years.

50th Annual Rally Sept 8 - 11, 2016

Dave Mischler

DaveMisch

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/05/2019
Nancy and I tried out our new (used) camper this week end. Took some more pictures of SS Canadiana Engine as promised. It was not quite so bright so I could see the view finder. Nancy is 5 ft two, Eyes not blue. She gives some scale of the size. She is standing touching the engine.

www.sscanadiana.com www.alexandersteamshow.com

our 50th Rally Sept 8 - 11, 2016

Dave Mischler

Attachments

uglyblue66

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
11/07/2018
Wow, reads like there was a effort to save the whole boat and there was folks that opposed it. Sad. Really sad.

DaveMisch

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/05/2019
When the engine came to our grounds about 7 years ago, there was a section of the hull that it had been bolted to. That metal was so pitted that I don't know how any engineer could have told them that it could be salvaged. I hope some others of you take the time to read some of the history of the ship.

www.sscanadiana.com

Dave Mischler

Attachments

DaveMisch

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/05/2019
As you can see from some of the pictures, we have a few loads of gravel to dress up the area. This is our main public entrance. the gate house is about 150 ft before the engine. The camping headquarters is another 75 ft before the gate house. We expect to be turning campers away by Friday evening. We have the worm gear that engages the gear in the first picture. It could possibly turn the engine in the future, with a big electric motor.
How about letting everyone know if you are coming. If you are registered you can click on our listing in the show directory.

Dave Mischler

Attachments

Last edited:

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017
Any chance that this engine can be restored and run, or is it going to be a static lawn ornament? Did it have a flywheel, or was the prop shaft the weight?

DaveMisch

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/05/2019
There is a lot of history at www.sscanadiana.com . It will only be a static display as far as we can see into the future. Possibly a twenty horse electric motor could turn it slowly. The ship had two boilers with two fire boxes for each. No way we could provide enough steam if it was operable. there is a big gear at one end of the shaft. A worm gear could engage this to turn the engine slowly for maintenance. Where is it? In a hay field 35 miles from the Buffalo Water front. I understand that a marine engine had no fly wheel and no governor. The propeller in the water did both jobs. We are in Alexander NY, half way between Buffalo and Rochester. www.alexandersteamshow.com

Our 50th Rally Sep 8 - 11, 2016

Dave Mischler

OTTO-Sawyer

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/15/2019
Thanks for the pictures. . . It's even bigger than I imagined.

Even as a static display it is impressive !

If you can get that worm gear and have it turning slowly, even better (without all the extra work, money, and maintenance involved with actually running it on steam)

Don't know if I'll ever make it up to New York to be able to see it in person, but looking forward to seeing more pictures of it and maybe a video some time if you ever get it spinning over.

:salute:

DaveMisch

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/05/2019
Here are two of Bob Melville's pictures from last year's Rally. This is how we looked at the engine for 7 years. We are looking at the heavy bottom, crank shaft part of the engine. It is much more graceful looking standing up right.

Our 50th Rally Sep 8 - 11, 2016

Dave Mischler

Attachments

DaveMisch

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/05/2019
These two pictures are a few stray parts of the Canadiana that are on our grounds. Eventually they will be put on some kind of display. Pictures are from Bob Melville.

our 50thn Rally is sep 8 - 11, 2016

a lot of pictures on www.alexandersteamshow.com every picture opens to a large folder. All by Bob Melville as far as I know.

Dave Mischler

Attachments

Last edited: