• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Started work on 1/3 scale Case

Case Place

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/14/2019
Re: Started work on 1/3 scale case

Boy that brings back some fond memorises. Larry

livesteammack

Registered

I was wondering, where do you find blueprints for engines like that. Do you obtain copys of originals or do you measure an exsisting engine and scale it down. I have thought it would be neat to model a Case but I am not good with location information on the internet so I have not gone any further than thinking about it.:shrug:

Case Place

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/14/2019

Livesteammack, somebody most likely somewhere along the way scaled down an existing piece of equipment. Tom Terning did this many years ago with a CASE 65 engine he had to develop for his 1/4 scale model and subsequently castings kits and drawings for us modelers. I would imagine he took his 1/4 scale drawings and just doubled all the dimensions for his 1/2 scale CASE 65 he was producing.

Chas Arnold, back in the late 1940's and early 1950's developed a set of plans for a 2" scale CASE 65. Ralph Andres then took those plans and copied all the lines and multiplied all the dimensions by a factor of 2 to come up with the 4" scale CASE 65 otherwise known as 1/3 scale.

So in any case, no pun implied, it takes someone a lot of work and time to measure and document a particular piece of equipment for modeling purposes.

If interested, I do have a original set of 1" and 2" scale drawings of the CASE 65 from the time period mentioned above available. Send me a PM if interested.

Hope this answers your questions, Larry

Last edited:

Casemaker

Registered

Tom Terning bought existing patterns and blueprints from one of two individuals that did most of the work developing the 1/4 Case models.

I think most of Tom's effort was on developing the 1/2 scale patterns from the 1/4 drawings.

I personally know of an individual that has a complete set of orig patterns for a 1/4 scale Case and lots of castings...but I wont expose him. (I dont know if he wants to go into the business at this time - I wish he would ).

GaarScott

Registered
Last Subscription Date
05/26/2009

Casemaker,

Did this person you can't identify purchase the 1/4 scale stuff from Aaron Terning, who no longer is in business?

Lawrence

Case Place

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/14/2019

Casemaker, I also wish your source would make the castings available. I could have sold two sets for him/her this past summer. It is just the right size for a lot of folks to play with. Thanks for the correction on Tom. Larry

Casemaker

Registered

Lawrence,
no this set of patterns is one of the two original 1/4 scale pattern sets of which one of them went to the Ternings - this one is the other one. As far as I know the Ternings still have one - but are not in the business anymore.

Casemaker,

Did this person you can't identify purchase the 1/4 scale stuff from Aaron Terning, who no longer is in business?

Lawrence

EspeeRalph

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/19/2014

Coles Power Models has 2" scale Case drawings. If you possibly can look over a full size engine and take lots of pictures. Case does the front damper door differently from the Coles drawings.

Ralph

Case Place

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/14/2019

Don't ya just luv those 6 jaw chucks ! Look'in greeeeeeat ! Larry

chrsbrbnk

Registered

The stack set up was fairly rigid but the CNC approach was kinda marginal as I wound up using a really long 3/4 end mill and .200 tall cuts got to thinking the giant fly cutter approach might have been quicker.
I went with a tapered keyway on the flywheel as they seem to hold a bit better than set screws
the pic posting is harder than the machining

JBoogie

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/12/2013
i never noticed the spokes being faced, maybe just didn't look hard enough. what was the purpose of that? clearance for clutch arms?

good work.

1/4case

Registered
Had to do the same with my set also. Had to cut back far enough for the shoes then needed to clearence the spokes to clear the clutch arms.

chrsbrbnk

Registered
Yes, had to face it off to meet the drawing dimension. the next project is the cross head I was thinking of facing off the end of the flange then clamping that under a plate over hanging the table on a bridge port( hanging vertically) , put in the bolt pattern , bolt that to the same plate then use the vertical travel of the knee to bore the 3.00" hole. Chris