• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Starter motor fault

waterworks

Registered
Apologies if this is in the wrong section.

I have a Yanmar L100 Diesel that the starter motor spins but won't engage with the flywheel ring gear, I fitted a new solonoid thinking it was weak but it made no difference , I really want to fix this issue myself rather than buy a new starter motor.

Any ideas anyone ?

Rex Wellendorf

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/01/2020
Hi, I don't really think that it's the solenoid that is the problem, I believe it is the drive gear on the starter shaft. Maybe a broken Bendix spring? Pull the starter and check that.-----Just a thought.
Rex.

Bud Tierney

Registered
Concur sounds like the "bendix"---if engine unused for awhile may just be crudded up. If spring not broken might just need good washing, light oiling to throw into ring gear...
Assuming, of course, Yanmar doesn't have some other type of stater motor...Google Bendix starter spring or similar, pix should come up.....