• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Starter trouble on Miller AEAD 200 LE welder.

oldjohndeere

Registered
I replaced the starter on this welder 5 years ago. The replacement always sounded really bad when cranking. I do not use this welder very often and has not been started in a year. When I tried to get it going a couple weeks ago it took a lot of spinning and busted the nose off the starter. The replacement I got is identical to the busted one and the drive does not seem to mesh with the flywheel very good. In my research I have found some starters had a cast iron nose and 10 teeth and the replacements say may not replace that starter. I do not have the original starter to compare. The replacement starter descriptions say 9 and 10 tooth are interchangeable. Does anyone have any experience with this?? The Onan engine is model CCKA-MS/3718J and serial is C800 487848. I have found a replacement with a 10 tooth drive but don't know if it will work. The teeth on the flywheel look good. Thanks for any help.

oldjohndeere

Registered
Uglydog, I went back after your post and reinstalled the starter and checked for fit. The bolt holes in the starter are bigger than the bolts that hold it on. It hangs down so if you just install it and tighten it up it is hanging to low for good tooth contact. I put it on and adjusted before tighten it up for good contact. Also had to use 2 flat washers on each bolt to shim starter out so drive would fully engage flywheel. Thank you for your reply.