• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Steam engine blueprints

Capt.Field

Registered
Hello all I’m fairly new to the steam scene and I’m in the midst of a large project I was hoping you folks might be able to help me with. I have a 1920 bury double acting air compressor (I’ll get pics as soon as I can) and my plan is to add a piston valve to the top and convert it to steam. I think I have the design all set but I’m looking for engine designs of the same size which is 8x8 or close to that for comparison to what I have. Any help would be much appreciated!

Odin

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019
There's more to it than just adding a valve and timing mechanism. Does this have provision to drain the water out of the cylinder so it doesn't hydrolock and throw a rod?

How well insulated is the cylinder? Can you wrap it in fiberglass and sheet metal to help it stay warm?

What you want to do is possible, but you've got a lot of machining to do. And an 8x8 is a good sized engine, needing a good sized boiler to make steam for it. Your bore and stroke is in the same neighborhood as many steam tractors have in them, so a boiler that size is what you'll be needing.