• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Steam Engine Joe- The other engines

David

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/27/2019
Just read Chuck's compilation of E&E stories on Mr. Rynda.

The rarest engines in the collection were not sold at the auction, and I've never heard of what plans (if any) there are for them.

Does anyone know?

David

Chuck Sindelar

In Memory Of
Dave,
All I know is that Joe's son Leonard desided not to sell his favorites, and had them hauled to another location before the sale. My guess is they are merely sitting outside rotting away at another nearby location. I think it is safe to say nothing will be done with them now, no more than what was done with them in the past. I find it more than just a little bit sad. One can no longer use the excuse that at least they are being saved from the scrapers. I think it is safe to say that if the rest of them had been sold at the auction, they would now be receiving better care than they are now.
chuck

steamin191620

Registered
I hauled a few engines out of there and on my last trip i got to talking to a few locals and they said the engines he kept were in a pole barn in Montgomery MN. not to far away from the sale site and Leonard was planing on getting one of them running as soon as he could and then about a year ago i talked to a guy that i met out there and he said not much had changed at the farm where the engines were but the ones he kept were still in the barn in town. That is all i know but i would like to hear more if anybody has anymore info it would be great. :shrug:

Shaun W

Registered
It is sad to say they are sitting outside as they were before the auction. I went out to check on them 2 summers ago to make sure the stacks were covered and the coffee cans were still on the governers. I've attached a couple photos from when they were first moved out there and you can see most of them didn't have their stacks covered at that time.They are still really oiled up from when they were moved back in '04 but they could use another coat in an attempt to minimize the weather damage. All I know at this point is that Leonard has no plans to do anything with them while he's still alive but when he passes on they will be a part of his estate at which time I'd like to get the 2 that I've been bugging him for and I'm not sure what will happen with the others. I can't speak for the other family members but I really don't think any of them would want to keep an engine. I guess one can only wait and see what happens

Attachments

Shaun W

Registered
Leonard kept the following engines

6 hp nichols shepard
16 hp c. aultman phoenix
12 hp. (?) return flue case
12 hp (?) center crank case
12 hp(?) compound case
40 hp case
65 hp case
21-75 baker
20 hp reeves
20 hp (I think) undermount avery
16 hp minneapolis

eblinga

Registered
Can anyone give a description of what an Aultman Phoenix is? I have looked in my books and have had no luck in determining what this engine would look like or be.

Thats really too bad about all those engines outside. I was finishing up my Junior year at college in St Paul and arrived at the site about a half an hour before it was overwith (the auction). We had been on the site earlier and took about a hundred and fifty pictures, including the Avery Undermount which was of particular interest for us, though I didn't have the "frog skins" to put down. I suppose all the boilers on those engines are pretty much shot by now....

David

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/27/2019
I assume Leonard also has the wood wheel Aultman "Sunflower" engine, which was Joe's favorite of all. I saw a recent picture of it somewhere, and it seemed like it was beside the house, or had been pulled out of a garage.

As a friendly correction, Joe referred to the little N&S as a 12 h.p. engine in the IMA.

David

Last edited:

JMathews

Registered
Dad looked at Rendas engines in the mid 70's, He was looking for parts for the minne. The parts he needed were there, under a tree by the 25HP russell, from two engines that Joe had parted out the boilers were bad. Dad's excuse for not going to the sale was "they will all be junk they have been setting there sence WW2". I have looked at John Hayle's 65 case, The boiler is better on the inside than the outside. The outside is near new condtion. Those guys that colected the engines early kept them because they were hard to find not to many made or left, or they were in great shape.

S

Steam Blood

My husband and I used to live near the Twin Cities and we had been out to Leonard's a few times taking video and pictures. It may take a while to round up everything and scan in the photos, but I could probably compile it together (well, mostly anyways).

I also have the prices for each engine sold on the auction. I think I have a couple of the buyers, too, only because I know them personally. That may take some time, however, as they are on the computer with the critical error on it.

Let me know if you are interested in any of this, and I will see about getting to it.

Katie

smgussey

Registered
I'd like to see pics...

It's sad to see all of them sitting outside like that - it looks like they could be restored, or at least better preserved until the cost of restoration becomes feasible or someone with enough $$ to do it steps up... of course I don't know much of anything about steam engines at this point, but I do know that sitting outside uncovered is generally bad for anything. :wave:

nrffarmboy

Registered
Yeah its to bad that all them engines set out all them years but I think some of those engine might have sat outside since the day they went out the factory door. I think that the engines That Lenard kept Were the ones that He bought himself back in the day. Or thats what he said a few weeks ago when i talk to him. Im not sure if them other engines well ever run he never said any plans for them.

David

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/27/2019
"I think that the engines That Lenard kept Were the ones that He bought himself back in the day."

I've read the IMA from the first to the last, and there are many pictures and stories that Joe Rynda sent in about the engines that Leonard has now. Joe never mentioned or suggested that
Leonard had purchased any engines during the time Joe was adding to his collection.

It's a moot point now, of course, since Leonard ended up with all of them.

David

nrffarmboy

Registered
Im pretty sure that Reeves is his because when i talked to him he said that the Reeves is the Second one he's bought because the first one he had the boiler was bad and he really liked that engine and so he said he found this one. He said it was cheaper to buy this Reeves than to fix the other one. Is there many people out there yet that went to the Rynda shows and seen it first hand?

nrffarmboy

Registered
I really like talking to Rynda about his fathers enginges. Hes live though the times and has a lot of good stories. One that he told me not too long ago is that the Smolik brothers stoped at his place in town there and ate dinner with him and brought all their trucks and hauling stuff to his place on the way out west just before they picked up the Reeves 40-140. and lots more. He was a very good friend of Tom Stebritz as am I or was, but its fun to listen to him talk about the good old days!