• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Steam Institute Former Employee Accused of Theft

Situations like this are really unfortunate. I will never understand how someone can justify stealing from an organization such as the SRI. I guess money always talks, and sometimes not in the right ways. I hope they get it resolved. With so many organizations that are doing great preservation and work but struggling with finances, this is troubling. SRI seems to be sound, as they are taking on the restoration of CNW #175, which won’t be easy or cheap, but it’s really great to see. There has been a few situations recently with drama in museum or preservation organizations. Mid-Continent RR museum and the Western Maryland Scenic RR for instance. I’m sure everything will be worked out, but it’s never easy to watch.

Will

uglyblue66

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
11/07/2018
I just got home from a fire department board meeting that involved hiring a new book keeper and we were discussing this very type thing. We had it happen 20 years ago on a small scale and to avoid charges the theif paid the department the 10,000 dollars he had stole. We have concerns about the leaving book keeper and will be having the computer checked.:brows:
There is a special place in Hades for folks that do this type thing.

Joe K

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
I am reminded of a locomotive undergoing restoration in one of our Western States and the original locomotive bell had suddenly come up "missing." I think a thread was here to query for information leading to recovery of the stolen bell.

It was painted red inside the bell itself.

Now every time I see a locomotive bell on Ebay I have a thought "is that the missing bell?"

They (anything) are only original once.

Joe K

Odin

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019
For those who weren't aware of this, SRI Owosso is the home of the Pere Marquette 1225, better known as The Polar Express.

It takes a considerable amount of money to make the big engines run, and 1225 is no exception. This is terrible that somebody would be stealing funds from the cause, especially when the engine finally has a crew that cares about it and the publicity to fund its continued preservation and operation.

I visited them back in May 2018, and actually stood beside the big engine during a boiler washout. Sometimes its hard to believe just how big these engines really are.

Attachments

FWurth

One Millionth Post
Last Subscription Date
07/29/2019
It's a bad thing and a sign of todays financial strain on people, but I often think they mostly start off with the thought that they will repay by next paycheck and just keep kicking the can down the road. Next thing their in too deep to gracefully get caught up. :shrug:

Sloroll

Registered
I live under the delusion that people in our hobby/lifestyle are above this sort of thing. No matter how many times I am proven wrong, I still want to believe it and am truly heart broken when theft and swindle occur. My father always said "I would steal to feed my children but rather die otherwise."

John Dunn

Registered
Last Subscription Date
03/04/2009
Rita Crundwell in Dixon IL took the city for 54 million. Fascinating documentary stuff on YouTube. Whether it's my township board, or things I see going on at the state level, I smell BS anytime they are questioned and offer to show the books to prove that all the numbers add up. They say figures don't lie, but liars sure figure.

Pete LaBelle

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/15/2013
Read a few days ago Mary turned herself in.

Whether the money will ever be returned is up in the air though.

Handlebar99

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/23/2019
When something like this happens, I always think "Why wasn't somebody minding the store?". Whenever a book keeper steals funds, the Commissioners, Board of Directors, or whoever has fiduciary responsibility for the money, did not do there job. A "book Keeper" should never have sole control of financial transactions. Somebody was sleeping on the job, or lazy. My motto is "Trust, but Verify".
Ray Rice, cranky and cautious, in Rifton

Motormowers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019
I live under the delusion that people in our hobby/lifestyle are above this sort of thing. No matter how many times I am proven wrong, I still want to believe it and am truly heart broken when theft and swindle occur. My father always said "I would steal to feed my children but rather die otherwise."
Dont kid yourself. There's plenty of honest , generous, and helpful people in the hobbys this site is dedicated to. But there's also plenty of greedy, predatory, self centered, selfish people in it also that think its only about them and the stock piling, swindling, dirty dealing, and back stabbing it takes to get what they're after and they make no bones about it. You're living in a fools paradise if you think they arent among us.