• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Be certain that you have spelled your email address correctly! Your account is then manually checked and approved.

Steam Rollers

Jerry Lucabaugh

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/14/2019
Here is a kelley springfield at Preston's for sale in the UK. This was imported just this month and pictured on the Old Glory website. I sure wish i had a chance at this one. I know where it is now, but I would like to know where it came from.

Its been mentioned before, but this seems a good place to put in another plug for "Classic American Steamrollers" By Raymond L Drake and Dr Robert T Rhode. ISBN 1-58388-038-0 This I would say is the definitive work: Acme to Waterous. Heavily illustrated and well documented. Paper back with nice quality gloss pages and good clear images.
This roller belonged to the late Tom King of Dallastown PA. Before that it was one of Willis Able's collection. I heard rumor it was going over the pond.

Last Subscription Date
11/13/2013
I've been meaning to upload this photo into my gallery and finally got it done. This is a Kelly Springfield that used to be at the Barnes Steam and Power Show at Belgrade, Montana. I only saw it under steam once, and before I snapped this early 1990s photo. It was sold or traded and I don't know where it went. It was interesting to observe the British styling, as that is about as close as I'll likely get to a real one of them.
Gary;)

M Zeigler

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/11/2019
:wave: I thought everyone would enjoy this picture, the roller is a Buffalo Springfield that was owned by my friend the
late Roy Herr from East Petersburg, Pa., Roy was a true friend and always had a reasonable answer to just about any problem a fellow could come up with. He owned many steam engines through out his life time and shared many very interesting stories :O:eek:. He also fabricated a few "toys" as well. if my memory is correct I believe Roy had told me he bought this roller from a township road dept. in Centre County ,Pa. in the early 70's, it had sat idle since the mid 1950's.

:D, Mike

Attachments

Last edited:

JeffK

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/09/2020
Hi Mike
I think that is the one that is owned by Rough and Tumble and you can find new photos on their website.I know its in most of their steam school photos. I think its a 10 ton and it was owned by PA. dept of Transportation.

M Zeigler

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/11/2019
:wave: Jeff,
You may very well be right, I remember seeing a note in the Whistle a few years back that the B.O.D. at R&T had voted to buy a roller, I hadn't put 2+2 togather, I know Roy had told me about a year before he passed away he had thoughts of selling a few things. I was going to ask Butch about it but we got busy with inspections and I didn't get around to it.

:D, Thanks,Mike

casertractor

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/24/2018
here is another pic of the 18hp buffalo springfeild owend by the late jim laidlaw of brampton ontario canada.john

G Willikers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/03/2020
Mr. Searson mentioned that Sawyer-Massey built rollers at Hamilton, Ontario and Waterous built them at Brantford. Another Ontario company offering rollers was Robert Bell at Seaforth. I can't say I have ever seen one but we can only hope that some still exist?:shrug:
Abell at Toronto also built a special 36hp simple engine around 1908 with roller wheels. It was rear mounted and named "Kenaston" after a company official. I guess it was not really meant as a roller but the drive wheels could be loaded with water and were a drum style. I have never seen pix of it but it was apparantly shown at the Winnipeg, Brandon and Regina expos. So there should be pix out there? It was badly burned in a warehouse fire at Regina in 1911 but fixed up and sold. I have heard some rumours that it may have worked in the Weyburn area? Anyone have more info on this baby?:brows:
G.

Attachments

Beth V

Last Subscription Date
03/03/2018
..... The Baker has Arthur S. Langenderfer Inc. on the canopy. Anyone know where this engine is?...Brad
Brad,

Langenderfers were in Toledo. According to the Baker records, they had 6. Here is the sign from the one at Sauder's Museum. Unfortunately, when they put the new smokebox on it, the SN plate was not re-attached. Perhaps, Ask the User can tell us?

Here's the sign and a few photos of the engine at the museum.

Attachments