• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Be certain that you have spelled your email address correctly! Your account is then manually checked and approved.

Steam Rollers

George Hoffman

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/28/2018
Here is a 10 ton Ruston Proctor roller bought by the City of New Westminster in 1911. It was used for road work until 1968. It broke the crank back then but still operated, the break being under the counterbalance u bolts it was still operating. Another fellow and I offered to repair it if we could operate it at our club grounds on a loan basis. We spent the winter in my shop doing an engine overhaul. After operating it for 22 years the club decided that the city should pay storage for it. They refused so I hauled it back to the city.
Lets say there is nothing like biting the hand that is feeding you.
We ran it over the scale and the 10 ton roller weight was just under 14 tons with the scarifier on.
IMG_0143.JPGIMG_0148.JPGIMG_0154.JPG

George Hoffman

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/28/2018
K.O. No it isn't going to get scraped. The City owns it but they consider it just an old piece of equipment and refused to spend a dime on it. So it sits in an old shed at the city works yard. A few of us have tried to get something done to clean it up and operate it for the city. But it is the same old crap that the younger generation preach. Its too old and not safe to steam, there is too much liability for the city to let anyone move it etc. I have explained to the city and their museum that the roller is the most valuable piece they have in terms of dollars.
As for the club, when some new management took office a few years ago the shows deteriorated until this created a financial crunch. To raise money the directors decided to charge storage for non club owned equipment. I received a $ 750 invoice for several machines that I kept there. That is why I have 3 steamers here at home that don't cost me a dime to store. So no more steam show.
Cheers.

David Hoover

Subscriber
K.O. No it isn't going to get scraped. The City owns it but they consider it just an old piece of equipment and refused to spend a dime on it. So it sits in an old shed at the city works yard. A few of us have tried to get something done to clean it up and operate it for the city. But it is the same old crap that the younger generation preach. Its too old and not safe to steam, there is too much liability for the city to let anyone move it etc. I have explained to the city and their museum that the roller is the most valuable piece they have in terms of dollars.
As for the club, when some new management took office a few years ago the shows deteriorated until this created a financial crunch. To raise money the directors decided to charge storage for non club owned equipment. I received a $ 750 invoice for several machines that I kept there. That is why I have 3 steamers here at home that don't cost me a dime to store. So no more steam show.
Cheers.
Sounds like another club that will succumb to the stupid