• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Be certain that you have spelled your email address correctly! Your account is then manually checked and approved.

Studleigh and Chapman Engines

Eric Schulz

Registered
Last Subscription Date
09/02/2009
If when doing research on Trove, you can’t find what you are looking for, come at it from another angle. I have found a fair bit of extra information that way.

An example, when looking for the beginning of Graham Chapman’s engine production, I searched Clara St, his address. That is where I found these ads for Studleigh. It is hard to believe that there were two different engine manufacturers in Clara St, Erskineville at the same time, especially back in 1908. From the wording of the ads, I would assume that Chapman and Studleigh were the same person. But, why use an alias?

The display ad, below, shows one of the first engines Chapman made. They are now quite rare. The crankcase would suit a 2 stroke engine, something he later produced. Note the similar wording to the Studleigh ads regarding hp and price. One change is that the 1/2hp has been dropped.

21-3-1908
Small gas and oil engine castings for sale, 1/2 to 4hp, with drawings. Studleigh, Clara-st, Erskineville.

11-4-1908
Small gas and oil engines, from 1/2 to 4hp, built to order, from £12. Studleigh, Clara-st, Erskineville.

17-7-1908
Wanted, price for erecting small workshop. Apply Studleigh, Clara-st, Erskineville.

20-10-1908
Engineering. Boy wanted to become apprenticed to gas and oil engine manufacturer; premium required. Apply Studleigh, Clara-st, Erskineville.

Although I have not seen any information on the gas engines, I would think they were just petrol engines converted to run on town gas.

Sometimes I think that people these days don’t give Chapman the credit he deserves. The Pup engines were invented by him in 1926, and made in large numbers. He claimed to have made over 600 per year before production stopped during the war. Blaxland Rae were licensed to build them in 1938, and in 1949 bought Chapman’s business.

Eric

Attachments

muzzery

Registered
Re: Studleigh and Chapman engines

When I run into a dead end on google etc, I start spelling incorrectly. Sometime it picks up extra information, as some very intelligent people have not been the best spellers. I first worked this trick out with the simple spell mistake “ deisel”